Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    you could do this - but the point about the dizzy method is that it allows pil to move round all the galleries WITHOUT the engine turning. So that when you do turn it with the keey, all th key surfaces are already coated.

I have a remote oil filter on my FE - -priming the engine via the dizzy worked fine, but nearly knackered the drill.
    Maybe, but these pumps move a lot of oil very quickly, the galleries won't take long to fill. Unless there hasn't been oil in for a while (or its been assembled dry - not a good idea) it shouldn't be a problem and no problems having to re-set the timing.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    Maybe, but these pumps move a lot of oil very quickly, the galleries won't take long to fill. Unless there hasn't been oil in for a while (or its been assembled dry - not a good idea) it shouldn't be a problem and no problems having to re-set the timing.
    sure, but as you can see from the above text, there isn't actually a need to re-set the timing either, if, as my Mum used to say 'leave it as you find it'!
    My concern would be that the engine has been cranked already with no oil, and there as been a period of inactivity as well. I have no idea of the absolute time periods involved, but in these sorts of thing I have always adopted a risk-averse approach.
    Pay your money, take your choice......
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Well after a long day and a helping hand from my dear bother we finally got the pressure up, I'm a happy man again... After pumping oil into just about anywhere that looked like it led to the pump we finally gave up on this method.We removed the oil filter along with the pump housing and packed it with Vaseline (got some strange Looks in the supermarket buying 4 tubs of the stuff!). We packed it into the pump, turned her over and 20 seconds later the light went out and the pressure gauge shot back up. It's been a bit of a pain in the arse but I've learned lots and next time it'll be a doddle. I couldn't have done it without all of your tips, Thank you so much.

oil pump Vaseline1.jpg

Kevin
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

Kevin,

Great resolution to your problem. I think you might have a spare jar!
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123