Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LT77 reverse gate

Drive my Contra for the first time today, one thing I noticed was the resistance for the reverse gate was VERY low. I few times I thought of selected first when I was actually in reverse.

Is it controlled inside the gearbox, or maybe it’s adjustable in the selector?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

I always slot second gear before trying first for this reason.

But yes it Is adjustable, have a look here:

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/remoteissues.html

This photo shows the bolts that hold the reverse gate baulk plate. Any adjustment would be carried out from here. If the edge of the plate is worn where the bottom of the stick contacts it, that could be why it is weak.

DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

From thelinks and the photos I can't really see what I'm supposed to do, has anyone else had to do this? Maybe you have some "Simon Says" instructions??
    Regards

Craig Perry

On my old Sumo I seem to remember unbolting that 'Y-yoke' (don't know the correct name) in the pic and flipping it over.
    It seemed to help with shifting - might be useful.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I'll try and have a proper look tonight, maybe I just need to tight those bolts onto the springs??
    Regards

Craig Perry

The bar on the driver's side of the gear stick when selecting reverse pushes up on the spring bar above. This is the force you feel when pushing across to engage reverse. Mine is a recon unit and feels quite good. When testing mine I thought it would be easy to add a sleeve over the spring bar extending it and add a spring to increase the resistance.

I think I may have found the issue, basically a large washer has found its way under the spring wire on the drivers side which removed all the resistance of the gearstick movement until it hit the gate.

Stage 1 spring tension... stage 2 gate resistance. How I'm happier, however.....

Next issue is, with the gearstick centred in neutral, when pushed forward it won't go into third. Needs a very slight nudge to the right I'm guessing I can adjust this with the two lock bolts under the Y spring?

Also, when in gear I have about a 1 inch of movement left and right on the gearstick, is that normal for an LT77?

Need to get underneath it this weekend and check all the rubber bushes out I think. Just wish I'd done it before the body went on !!
    Regards

Craig Perry

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    I think I may have found the issue, basically a large washer has found its way under the spring wire on the drivers side which removed all the resistance of the gearstick movement until it hit the gate.

Stage 1 spring tension... stage 2 gate resistance. How I'm happier, however.....

Next issue is, with the gearstick centred in neutral, when pushed forward it won't go into third. Needs a very slight nudge to the right I'm guessing I can adjust this with the two lock bolts under the Y spring?

Also, when in gear I have about a 1 inch of movement left and right on the gearstick, is that normal for an LT77?

Need to get underneath it this weekend and check all the rubber bushes out I think. Just wish I'd done it before the body went on !!
    You are correct on the adjustment needed to position the gear stick so that it will slip into 3rd and 4th without any sideways pressure required. As for the play when in gear on my old LT77 this was all down to play in the external linkages. The nylon bush that the ball part of the gear stick sits in was badly worn and even worse was the joint where the gear stick joins the input selector shaft. I managed to sort mine as I had an old one that was hardly worn. No idea if the parts are available to do this.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    You are correct on the adjustment needed to position the gear stick so that it will slip into 3rd and 4th without any sideways pressure required. As for the play when in gear on my old LT77 this was all down to play in the external linkages. The nylon bush that the ball part of the gear stick sits in was badly worn and even worse was the joint where the gear stick joins the input selector shaft. I managed to sort mine as I had an old one that was hardly worn. No idea if the parts are available to do this.
    The 8 bushes that mount it are still available, but I think that's about it. I'll get the car on the ramps in the garage this weekend and have a look underneath to see what's going on.
    Regards

Craig Perry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast