Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the info guys, am I correct in assuming that a standard SD1 radiator is only two core?? The core in mine is a two core and is 32mm thick.

Andy, when you had yours re cored was it to a three core spec?

Gary is yours two or three core?

Now I know that an SD1 rad will cool a bigger engine, I'm just trying to figure out if I need to have an extra core fitted

cheers....Nige

Approx 52mm thick which are three core sizes. This gives a larger volume increase for better cooling. Also the heat disapation of aluminium is better.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Approx 52mm thick which are three core sizes. This gives a larger volume increase for better cooling. Also the heat disapation of aluminium is better.
    better than copper?
    some interesting chat here:
    https://www.researchgate.net/post/Fo...nium_or_copper
    Last edited by KevinW; 17-01-20 at 04:09 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Interesting read Kevin. I see the final statement "Copper is better at heat transfer and aluminium is better at heat dissipation". The over consensus is aluminium is used for lightness and cost. It can easily be extruded and does not have the green furring build up with corrosion like copper.

The exclusion and channels allows more fins and channels per inch with aluminium rads which allows better cooing. I know my copper is a 75mm thick and is very heavy. The replacement of a 52mm with aluminium should give me the same or better heat dissipation with the smaller thinner radiator. I present I have 3 1/2 gallons in the complete system and this will come down due the size difference with a reduced weight.

I should win win in weight reduction to aluminium and less water further reducing the weight.The tube size and fin density can are also increased with aluminium rads.

Going from a 32mm too a 52mm radiator will increase you water volume by a third and increase your cooling proportionally.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Nige

Yes, 3 core for an SD1 which was like for like as I just needed to fix a damaged tube that was leaking. I'm not sure if you can replace 2 with 3 if you don't already have a 3 core due to the space within the radiator body. Probably best to discuss with local radiator repair shop.

Cost wise I could have probably bought an Aluminium one but was steered away from that by others I spoke to.

Andy
    Andy
    Dax- 350 Chevy, Holley Carb - Loads of smiles to the gallon SOLD
    AK- 383 Chevy - Even more smiles to even more gallons

Thanks for all of the replies. Does anyone have a 3 core SD1 radiator for sale??
    Thanks...Nige

If you cant find one - you can get rad's custom made to your spec...

Alternatively, Nissan S14 aftermarket rads are roughly the same size and have been used in quite a few Dax's. There are even a couple on ebay that Radiator, twin fans, shroud and relay all in for £180...

Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12