Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rover SD1 radiator query

Do any of you run a Rover SD1 radiator in your car with an engine of 5 litres or bigger?? My car currently runs an SD1 radiator and cools the car fine, but looking to increase the engine size, and was curious to know if anyone runs a larger engine with this type of radiator without any issues. The radiator will run twin 12" Spal fans, each flowing 1226cfm of air.
    if you could answer this that would be great:-

*What engine is it?

*what horsepower does it put out approximately?

*What temperature does it normally run at?

*What temperature does the fan cut in at and what temperature does it drop to?

*Do you find it marginal for cooling your engine?

Thanks in advance
    Nige

Hi Nige how are you doing ? Hope the (man flue) has gone now

I have a SD1 radiator in my car running a 351W 5.8 L and have no issues. Only modification made is it is a triple core now where as standard I think it is only a double core.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I think my rad is basically a modified SD1, but with an extra core.
    Seems to be fine for 7 litres.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I believe the three-core version is AKA the export model. The Ram uses it as standard and all sorts of engines and power outputs have been used. Mine is around 300 hp and the only time I've seen it get a bit hot was on a very warm day in a very long queue (getting in to Goodwood FOS a few years ago).
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Hi Nige,
    I am currently using an sd1 rad with standard two cores and a ford twin elec fan .
    The engine is a 3.9 rv8, power is proberbly about 230 b h p and runs at about 85 deg C ,very rarely goes any higher than that even in last years hot summer. I have an override switch on the fan relays just in case ,
    Hope this is some help ,
    Chris.

- forgot to add, mine has a big kenlowe sucker on the back.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

just seen this post Nige,

answers below:

*What engine is it? - 383 chevy (6.3 ltr)

*what horsepower does it put out approximately? - 320BHP at wheels

*What temperature does it normally run at? - hmm, not sure

*What temperature does the fan cut in at and what temperature does it drop to? - not sure, has a pair of kenlowe 10 or 12" fans with a temp dial set on it.

*Do you find it marginal for cooling your engine? - nope, cools fine.

rgds
    Gary

Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

SD1 rad as supplied by AK.
    Running a 390 FE so 6.4 litre, horsepower enough guessing 325 bhp plus.
    Running temp is fine a bit cool in the winter. Will idle and run in traffic all day no matter how hot the weather. I did fit a homemade full rad shroud around the 16 inch fan.

To be honest I don't need to keep watching the temp as it is always ok.

Baz

Answers below,

My Rad is a Rover SD1 3 core copper, with a high performance Kenlowe 16” puller.

*What engine is it? - 383 SBC, 6.3 ltr

*what horsepower does it put out approximately? – 450 BHP at fly wheel (Original builder figures)

*what temperature does it normally run at? – 86-88 degrees

*what temperature does the fan cut in at and what temperature does it drop to? – Cuts in at 95, and cuts out once it’s dropped to 86-88 degrees

*Do you find it marginal for cooling your engine? – Apart from a slight leak, it cools fine and the temp gauge is fairly steady during normal running, and in slow moving traffic or jams, even on a very hot day the fan brings the temp down to around 88 degrees within a couple of minutes .
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Similar to Paul, mine is a 383, dyno'd at 500bhp, temp runs high 80's. Fan is manual and no oil cooler fitted. I only use the fan in standing traffic for peace of mind. Habit from driving old cars over the years!

Similar to comments above I was finding temp was running a bit lower as soon as the weather cooled, late September.

I had rad recored due to a leak so know its in tip top condition. Cost of this was getting towards cost of aluminium rad but I was steered away from aluminium by various people as they reckoned that alu are more fragile - i suppose that a matter of opinion that i can't confirm or deny though.

cheers
    Andy
    Andy
    Dax- 350 Chevy, Holley Carb - Loads of smiles to the gallon SOLD
    AK- 383 Chevy - Even more smiles to even more gallons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast