Stroke of RV8 4.6 / sump capacity

I’m still trying to work out my sump capacity - Someone I spoke to last night (I was planning to get the sump off today) suggested taking the stroke of the engine (82mm) and measuring half of this distance from the centre of the main pulley. Is this a reasonable assumption ? I think I’d then have to allow some extra clearance above the notional oil level to allow for the sweep of the big ends.

Has anyone any idea how much clearance I should allow ? Any pitfalls I’ve missed ?

Also, a bit of research suggests that the sump drain plug is M14 x 1.5 is this likely to be correct ? I’d like to fit a magnetic drain plug.

I appreciate there are other ways of approaching this problem - I’d like to avoid taking the sump off if possible, the sump is difficult to identify, the dipstick is the wrong one , and goes in at an angle which precludes using it as an accurate measure. The engine builder couldn’t remember anything about the sump used. I’ve posted pics of it on here before, but no-one was certain. I’ve spent a bit of time today looking they google, Rimmer Bros, eBay, various forums (fora ? forae ?) and am only marginally less ignorant than I was when I started...

Hopefully someone will know before I get the spanners out (and wreck something). Cheers !
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

I still think it's an SD1 with the bottom chopped off and the drain pipe re-located as I said last time.
    You could always buy a new SD1 tube and dipstick (although Rimmers don't have them), or any other 'matched' pair of tube and stick, and then re-check the level.

Your pic from previously and a pic of an SD1 sump - compare the overall shape and locations of the swages - they're the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by russell_ram2; 18-01-20 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks Russel, I’ve sent you a PM
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.