Bodywork Cut Outs

What is the best way to cut out the bonnet scoop hole and the side vent holes in the bodywork?

Bonnet Scoop

Side Vent

Ideally with the side vent I want to leave a slight lip on it like this (shamelessly stolen image from Tinkas Car!)

How have you all done it? Any tips?
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Slowly. My method is to chain-drill the middle out, leaving some material between the drill holes and the material you want to keep. Then, gradually hand-file out to the finished size. Some might use power tools, but I prefer to finish by hand for more control.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Mine was already cut out, but with a very large return instead of the small lip.. so I used an air cut-off wheel followed by a Dremel with a slitting disc to get it close to a line I made with masking tape, then hand filed it back to the line.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Cover area with making tape, mark preferred aperture, or one slightly smaller than planned, and chain drill the area.
    The alternative is to get the Dremel out with a cutting attachment, but you will still need to chain drill round the rounded corners.
    Go slowly - easy to slip. Aim for a slightly smaller aperture than planned and then with a sanding attachment on Dremel/drill round off the rough edges, a little at a time.

Did my Sumo bonnet in the kitchen when the ex-Mrs was out at work - a happy hour or 2 in the warm, very satisfying little job, run it out to garage and hoover up b4 she got back. Everyone happy.

oh, and wear a mask, goggles and gloves, but suspect you know that already.
    Last edited by KevinW; 18-01-20 at 06:28 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks chaps, chain drilling it is then
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

As above mask well first but Ive used a dremel with a fluted side cutter works really well even on fairly thick sections.

You need a reasonably steady hand but can make good straight and corner cuts easily.
    Building MK4 GD Jag based with a Chevy 383/tremec tko600.

Build blog/photo store https:/www.facebook.com/pg/gregsGD427

When I did mine which is not too clear in that picture there is no lip at all it is completely flush on the inside. I think I did apply some filler to the inside so that I could sand the inside edge to square it up. As for how I cut it out I used a trusty dremel . I attached some large head screws to secure the side vents on the inside and fabricated up some brackets.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8