Distributor wiring

Right, AK loom labelled and ready to install, hoping to turn the engine over for the first time imminently. However i note two cables that come out of my summit distributor. I am a mechanical advance, not vacuum.......i see they mention an ignition control box........do i really need one? Also where and what is the ballast on the ignition live wire......once i know the answer to these questions i am up and running.

Thanks Jules.

Ps naturally aspirated 383 sbc
    Last edited by Julesdm; 23-01-20 at 10:49 PM.

So you’re not running electronic ignition as a complete distributor?
    If not the ballast side is to do with the coil you need to fit and you then get in to the realms of the msd type of control unit that almost replicates electronic ignition.
    If you use a dizzy that’s hdi the components are integral so you need a battery + and a tachometer feed hence your two wires!
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

Mark

Thanks for that. No, the USA builder installed a standard mechanical distributor with an MSD coil. I now understand that the two require an Ignition Control unit....had i known this at the time of purchasing the engine i would have considered the HDI unit all included........not to worry, just a load more wiring to do!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mark chambers View Post
    So you’re not running electronic ignition as a complete distributor?
    If not the ballast side is to do with the coil you need to fit and you then get in to the realms of the msd type of control unit that almost replicates electronic ignition.
    If you use a dizzy that’s hdi the components are integral so you need a battery + and a tachometer feed hence your two wires!
    AK Cobra started 06/19
    Chevy 383 Stroker, TKO 600
    See my build on instagram: Julesdm14