Thread: Hood bow width

Hood bow width

I'm in the process of making a hood bow for a skinny top, ( making one because a, I'm tight, b, I can, and c, I dont want to buy one then adapt it and ruin it), so can anyone tell me the width of the channel on a hood bow?, my screen is a brasscraft one and I assume I need to allow the width of the screen plus enough gap to wrap the roof material around, if someone could have a measure of a bow and point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Cheers Roger

I made my Hood/Screen Bows from 22.2 x 22.2 x 1.2mm (7/8" x 7/8" x 18swg) square box section. Purchased from metals4U .co.uk. My screen is Brasscraft and the bows fit good. See photo's below. I would not go into production but I did get great satisfaction in making them! Good luck.
    If you want any more detail give me a shout
    Charlie

20180727_093352.jpg20180727_132215.jpg20180801_102816.jpg20180809_132547.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rpm015 View Post
    I'm in the process of making a hood bow for a skinny top, ( making one because a, I'm tight, b, I can, and c, I dont want to buy one then adapt it and ruin it), so can anyone tell me the width of the channel on a hood bow?, my screen is a brasscraft one and I assume I need to allow the width of the screen plus enough gap to wrap the roof material around, if someone could have a measure of a bow and point me in the right direction it would be appreciated

Cheers Roger
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Excellent Charlie and top work, my process won't look nearly as professional!, what sort of material thickness did you use? I assume that width of channel allowed for fixing/ glueing it into the channel?

Roger

As it states 18swg box section. I did have to get it rolled at a fabricators as I did not have that equipment. I had the ends laser cut out, see diagram and then borrowed a set of bows and made a jig. I then welded it up. The central peg is the head of a nail. The channel allows for the material to go inside to be glued in place.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by rpm015 View Post
    Excellent Charlie and top work, my process won't look nearly as professional!, what sort of material thickness did you use? I assume that width of channel allowed for fixing/ glueing it into the channel?

Roger
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

For some reason, photo's will not attach. Send me your email address Roger as I have lots of other photo's including the skinny hood
    Charlie

Many thanks, I've pm'd you my email