Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brake master cylinder pipes

On the brake master cylinder there are two pipe connections each running to the brake pipes which in turn supply the rear system and the front system, the question is does it matter which goes to which system ,in other words does the first connection on the cylinder supply the rear brakes or front brakes.Perhaps it does not matter.
    Any suggestions please.

Front brakes connect to it outlet nearest the servo seems to be the consensus. There’s a thread on here somewhere that started a debate on this, but chimaera on here reckons that’s the way to do it so good enough for me!
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

I went through this when I installed my brake system.

The master cylinder has two sections, each with an outlet.
    The section closest to the servo is the primary and the one furthest away is the secondary.
    The front brakes are connected to the primary outlet and the rear brakes to the secondary.
    It all looks counter intuitive but I believe it has to do with the construction of the pistons and the 'built in' brake bias.

sceptic

Thanks Chaps
    Well it looks like it was well worth asking,it makes sense that the front brakes are controlled by the primary outlet as they will see more load when braking,the rear brakes basically act as the secondary system so i will pipe up using that philosophy.
    Regards
    Martin

I'm sure you'll find many people telling you what way round they should be but good luck finding anyone who can give you a plausible reason why.
    Apparently if player A has built more cars than player B then player B has no right to an opinion even though player A freely admits they have no idea why.

Obviously if master cylinder is stepped bore it's a different story.
    Last edited by GDCobra; 27-01-20 at 06:33 PM.

Yes you are most probably right, but unless you strip down the cylinder to see precisely what,s going on then its difficult, another way is to find a car with the same brake cylinder
    and compare, or perhaps an instruction manual would show the setup.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    Yes you are most probably right, but unless you strip down the cylinder to see precisely what,s going on then its difficult, another way is to find a car with the same brake cylinder
    and compare, or perhaps an instruction manual would show the setup.
    Martin
    I suspect a stepped bor MS is quite exotic and hence you'd know if you had one (and I guess the calculations) would get a bit more complex.
    If we assume a parallel bore I suspect there are many factors why one port or the other on a specific setup should be front or rear rather than a rule of "closest to pedal goes to front" possibly even whether brake is drum or disk, large displacement or not. Bearing in mind that many twin circuits were diagonal rather than front/rear split I suspect it makes little or no difference,

I remember going through the same research when I built mine and never did come to a firm answer other than - larger reservoir is front brakes and that worked fine for my installation.

Oddly, the Marina/Ital Lockheed master that the Ram uses has different sized ports front and rear and the rearmost port is the smaller one. So why would that be?
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I remember going through the same research when I built mine and never did come to a firm answer other than - larger reservoir is front brakes and that worked fine for my installation
    That's exactly why I wanted to understand how/why/if there was a right or wrong way of plumbing the ports bearing in mind what may have been important on the original vehicle may not be on the new installation, it may even be opposite.
    In the end I just think it's a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post

Oddly, the Marina/Ital Lockheed master that the Ram uses has different sized ports front and rear and the rearmost port is the smaller one. So why would that be?

Is it just the thread which is different size or is the pipe a different diametrically too?

I reckon you're right - a non-issue.

Just the threads differ, it's all 3/16" pipe but the ports are 7/16 and 3/8" (UNF).
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast