Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with Grahams statement about the cobra should emerge from the Lexus L rather than overlay/overlap - as the merge shows an evolution of form rather than chucked together - lol

This was/is the one i made up based on Grahams(?) first sketch - made from 5mm ally plate

in theory, you could scan this with an app on your phone to create a 3d image that you could then print on your 3D printer - image could also be amended using a 3D cad like app on PC

rgds
    Gary
    Last edited by nealgs; 28-01-20 at 12:47 PM.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Spoiler alert: I am not an artist

But yes, properly done so that the snake emerges from the L would look better
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

So, I've been looking at this 3d printing lark and the more I look the less I seem to understand it. I've seen prices from £30.00 to £300.00 (and I'm sure there are plenty a lot more than that) I've read articles that say they are everywhere from schools to the Space Station and they can print almost anything made from almost anything (plastic to Titanium)!

Where to start? I'm not sure I actually "need" one but I have an idea it will get used if I have one. I would like something that can do rigid plastic or metal (still want to try and do "the Lexus badge") and is not going to kill the credit card with up front costs or stuff that runs out every 5 minutes as the ink does on a normal printer.

What do others have and are they any good at what the hype says they can do? As I've said before my art skills are one above non existent so will be relying on the computer to do the fancy stuff if that's even possible.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

I got the Ender 3 Pro for £180 and I'm happy with it, though results (probably on most printers) depend on some trial and error and a learning curve as you start to understand how they work and that changing one setting can affect others. Fortunately, I like that kind of thing.

If you want to print metal, though, I think you're talking a price that's on a whole different level.

I use blender and cura to design my own items, though, and prefer functional items, from bathroom shower door hinge replacements to fake pusher fans for the Sumo (if you can call those functional).

Well first you have to decide whether you want to print via FDM or SLA, and from there what kind of materials you'll want to print and from there .. or, buy yourself a cheap FDM printer and start playing

I have an Anycubic Chiron, one of the bigger build volume printers (400x400x450mm) rather than the usual 220x220x250 (Ender 3 Pro, Prusa i3 etc) but that does make the machine huge and slower (it's harder to accelerate and stop the massive print bed without introducing wobble into the prints).

Prusa i3 Mk3 is probably known as the 'best' hobby printer - but expensive.
    Ender 3, CR10s etc are Prusa clones IIRC, and are excellent value for money with minimal 'tweaking' needed
    Chinese crap is generally, er, crap. You can make it good but you'll spend all your time printing upgrades
    Anycubic are the best of the Chinese clones and actually generally quite good with a few small tweaks.

As skinnymathew says, there's a huge learning curve to all the settings and things you need to tweak and understand to get good prints! But there are a lot of good online resources to help you.

That's all FDM printing or, basically, squirting molten plastic down in layers. The prints have an obvious 'look' as you can see the layers (which can be smaller or larger depending on your printer and needs - larger is faster, smaller is a better finish). Mostly you can print in PLA (good, robust, slightly brittle, easy to print), PETG (good, robust, less brittle, harder to print), ABS (hard to print, extremely strong but requires a heated enclosure for best results), ASA (in between PETG and ABS), TPU (flexible thermoplastic - kinda rubbery - and meant to be a sod to print, I haven't tried).

If you go for SLA then the print emerges from the toxic goo - I'm not kidding, literally that's how they work. Rather than squiring down molten plastic they use light to solidify goo into a solid polymer. Very cool, a little more work involved in post processing, the fumes aren't good for you (needs a well ventilated workshop really) and neither is the goo! But the results are smoother, need less post-processing (filing, etc) and usually stronger. Elgoo Mars is a good choice here. It's basically like printing with epoxy resin.. I kinda want one.

Confused yet, Graham?

Oh yes, forget powdered sintered metal printing or any of those things - the printers will run into many thousands!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Skinny, you got your end with a pro for how much? I'm sure Kings Cross is cheaper.

Aaron, thanks for the reply, I have absolutely no idea what any of it meant!

I love the forum, simple questions waiting for simple answers and I don't have a clue by the time someone has explained it. Kind of reminds me of school.

Thanks both of you, I think Father Christmas might want to deliver that package to someone else, beyond my understanding but I'm glad there are those out there that do.

So.

How do we get this damn badge to a point where;

1. we all like it.
    2. someone can make it.
    3. it looks sh*t hot on a cobra?

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12