Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Lexus badge!

Apologies to those that think we are "a bit strange" and should maybe go an have a lay down and keep taking the pills, but the Lexus engine has reappeared again. In a Gardner Douglas this time (see cars for sale, part built). It's not mine and I don't know the seller so this is not a plug to drum up sales, mind you if I had some spare cash (I don't) I would be knocking on the door of the seller for a look.

Anyway I digress, for the Lexus users among us, the idea of a Lexus badge popped up again. It was discussed a while ago, well we kind of hijacked a thread for a while, and a few good ideas were "knocked" around. I've never really forgotten the idea and due to the fact it was mentioned again and the Lexus label just happened to fall off the engine a while back I had another go at a design. Just so everyone knows, art is not my thing, I've nicked a picture from google and sort of made it into what I was after. I have absolutely no idea how to make something like this and was hoping the 3D printer fraternity might have some input (please). I don't know if making this for the engine is the best idea, too much heat ect but it might be an idea for the front grill, if you have one, or the sides where the usual Cobra badges go.

So over to "you", as said art is not my thing, if anyone can improve on this please do and if anyone can let me know a reasonably cheap way of making it I'm all ears.

img20200128_09104536 (1024x724).jpg

Graham.
    Last edited by Gatwick Axe Man; 28-01-20 at 08:47 AM. Reason: shouting
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

If you are OK with 'flat' then low volume laser cutting can be done fairly inexpensively - as an example, I think it cost me £60 (materials included) to have a set of footwell panels laser cut out of aluminium sheet as a one-off job with me supplying the DXF files.

If you want contoured - 3D printed and then sanded & painted.. maybe a mash-up of https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2358965 and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3470955 (apologies, Thingiverse is the slowest website in the known universe .. and that's when it works )
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

All of the above! Way beyond my skill set in one reply!

This could be fun and I'm guessing not as cheap as I thought.

Graham.

Here's what you get for five minutes of tinkering with existing designs - I'm no artist so the snake from scratch might be beyond me

My DeDion build diary..

Any way of flipping the snake so it faces the other way, have the body following the "L" a bit more? It might make it look like the snake is sort of growing out of the Lexus part. Not sure if that makes sense.

Graham.

Little hard to visualise it when its in two colours, but like this then:

My DeDion build diary..

Something like that, I think my artistic talent just reached the end of it's use. This is going to need input from others that know what they are talking about better than I do. Let it run and see what we come up with.

Graham.

I'm printing one right now just for sh*ts and giggles (and the printer was idle) .. should be done in a couple of hours (3D printing is anything but quick!)
    My DeDion build diary..

I have a horrible feeling I am going to have to learn how to do this soon because;

1. sometime soon my not so little one is going to say "why can't we get a 3D printer"?

2. it looks damn good fun.

Dear Father Christmas, I know it's a bit early but..................

Graham,

I have used the image below to replace the BMW logo on the gearknob.

Good to see the idea alive again.

Ian

Last edited by Ian C; 28-01-20 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast