Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: poor starting

poor starting

i have a problem when hot very slow cranking speed any ideas anyone ,LS2 engine ?Pete

Does it crank fine after 10-15 mins of cooling down. This will be heat soak.
    1. Check battery terminals, and all main cable too the starter motor.
    2. Engine earth straps and earth points are clean and tight.
    3. If you have a remote or direct mounted solenoid? A remote suffers less from heat soak.
    4. If this was not a problem in the past your starter motor windings are cooked.
    This was my problem. Fit a high torque and heat shield the motor.
    If this a new build or since you bought the car check the main cable is large enough cross section if the battery is boot mounted.

Jon
    Last edited by jon1d; 05-06-21 at 12:22 PM.

Had the same problem on my chevy 350. Cables all good but the starter motor with solenoid on the side was plenty close to the headers so i installed a remote solenoid on the bulk head above the drivers footwell and never had an issue since - it was heat soak.
    Cheers
    Barry

to be honest its never cranked fast always been a bit slow

Mine was trying to crank through a cut off switch and was always a bit feeble. I've rerouted the cables direct now, so the cut off switch (which I fitted as a security device) only disables the rest of the loom, and it cranks much better. I do have massive thick cable, though - could you try uprating yours?
    Reverend Robin
    GD427 Euro

He who dies with the most tools wins

I would certainly look at your cables and earth straps. A poor earth will also show as slow on cold starts.

as my battery is in the boot i have 10mm cable which i think is good enough, checked all earths today cleaned and refitted still same, as Jon said i have a feeling its the starter

Had same start ok cold but like the battery was flat when hot , tried all sorts but turned out to be the hi torque mini starter (new) changed it and been perfect since

Quote Originally Posted by pete knighton View Post
    as my battery is in the boot i have 10mm cable which i think is good enough, checked all earths today cleaned and refitted still same, as Jon said i have a feeling its the starter
    10mm maybe a bit borderline if your battery is in the boot. Especially if the cable is getting hot.

Quote Originally Posted by incey1966 View Post
    10mm maybe a bit borderline if your battery is in the boot. Especially if the cable is getting hot.
    You replied before me,
    I will second that and would use 12mm, that's what I use with my battery up front
    and that's with my small rv8 .
    Chris.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast