AK gen 2 - Tremec TKO 600 removal

Hi
    I have a really annoying leak from my Tremec TKO 600. It appears to be coming out of the top plate.
    I'm thinking of taking the gear box out of the car to fix it properly. How easy is it to remove just the gearbox on an AK?

Thanks

Pete
    Follow my progress here http://petesakcobra.blogspot.com

Hi Pete,

Removed my tko500 twice from my AK. Once from above while the body was off, and once from underneath. Weirdly easier from above I thought!!

If it's just the top shifter plate that's an issue, can you get to it through the shifter hole in the tunnel?

If its one of the other top plates it probably just needs a new gasket, or line of gasket seal around it before you put it back on, so you might be able to remove the shifter, take the prop off at the diff end, slide the gearbox back enough so the shaft is out of the spigot and clear of the clutch and just drop it down far enough to turn the box and get to the plate (make sure you keep the prop in the gearbox to keep the oil in!!) which only needs the car a foot or so in the air. (its cramped but can be done)

It might be easier to cut into the top of the transmission tunnel and sort it from above and fashion a filler panel from thin Ali and re fix the carpet/put some new carpet over the tunnel?

Alex

Just another thought, if you pop the heater out, access is pretty good through the engine bay to the first plate.

I've not had to remove my T56, but would think remove the prop, down and out would be easier?

Alan.

P.S Don't forget they are filled with Dexron III!
    AK Gen II on the road Jan '19
    GM LQ4 364ci, LS9 cam, Omex 710.
    Tremec T56 Terminator.
    3.27:1 Powr-lok LSD

Would it not be easier to just hire some ramp time at a local friendly garage
    I’ve got a ramp and gearbox jack and it’s less than an hour out without any stress
    Where about are you I’m in North Wales but my ramps tied up with engine and box swap till probably April (waiting on parts)

Hi Andy
    I’m in Runcorn not too far from you. Would definitely be interested in using your ramp and gearbox jack. I have a low rise lift but yours would make it much easier. I’ll drop you a message in April to see how you’re getting on with yours.
    Cheers
    Pete

No problem
    No point making life hard, when their is an easy way