Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very Little "Private" Cobra reps about for sale

Was amazed by how little Private owned cars that are for sale.. At a guess i reckon 95% are with the TRADE

Why is that i wonder? they seem to be selling fairly steadily, if they are not vastly overpriced..

I can't remember the last time someone sold a car to a private buyer here - they are almost always snapped up by dealers.. if I had to guess it's because dealers are willing to buy a car and then sit on it for an extended period of time until the right buyer comes along, and buyers are more inclined to buy an (expensive) toy car that comes with dealer "backup" than a "sold as seen" private sale.

Meanwhile, sellers are usually trying to sell because they need/want the cash for something else, and buyers don't show up within a couple of months so they lose heart and sell to the trader because a low trader offer is better than no offer..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I would say that in the 20 odd years I have been on here, technical competency, and for that read technical confidence, has been falling.
    That's not to say there aren't plenty of spanner monkeys, and hat's off to those that are willing to try, but I think there is a higher proportion of people asking where to get their car serviced, or 'what garage can fix XXXX?'.

Therefore, I agree with Aaron's comment.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Wrong time of the year to be selling privately.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

I've bought my cars from here, privately, but it is the wrong time of year for private sellers. Start looking March, April timeframe, and be prepared.
    I lack time to build my own, but am not short of technical confidence. 😉
    The have been some very nice cars offered for sale here over the years, but it's not the only place to look.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I can't remember the last time someone sold a car to a private buyer here - they are almost always snapped up by dealers.. if I had to guess it's because dealers are willing to buy a car and then sit on it for an extended period of time until the right buyer comes along, and buyers are more inclined to buy an (expensive) toy car that comes with dealer "backup" than a "sold as seen" private sale.

Meanwhile, sellers are usually trying to sell because they need/want the cash for something else, and buyers don't show up within a couple of months so they lose heart and sell to the trader because a low trader offer is better than no offer..

Many a true word spoken.. sellers seem to put out an an inflated price, more than realistic one (like the £50k rover engine d one) then wonder
    why they are still for sale 2 years later.. very similar to the hot rod scene atm.. know the owner of a stunning show winning 34 coupe, had it for sale for £60k
    then traded it year or so late for £30k ish... only one who benefited was the dealer who sold it for £40k.. madness....

He could of advertised £40k and would of made the £10k in his own pocket.. its a queer market for sure..

It can be hard - that £60k Rod probably had £100k in it - it's hard to swallow walking away from that kind of money.. likewise Cobras can easily have £50-60k in them, so it's hard to advertise it for £30-40k and know you are walking away from £10-20k you'll never see again. Eventually disillusionment sets in and that overrides the financial pain because you "just want it gone" and sell it to a dealer..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Anyone know of this one...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ac-cobra-...YAAOSw7Khcpxwb

Been for sale a while, Hmmm? and looks like its been on the road? but not registered..no SVA.? at the time Tracked ??
    Or maybe failed the SVA at the time

Anyone on here know it?

Seems strange he has done 1,000 miles and states "Will require registration once completed". I suspect it is incorrectly registered and will need an IVA so the engine will need to be looked at closely.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

I think it's unregistered and will require registration after an IVA.
    I hope he has a donor V5 for the Jaguar?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast