Ground Clearance

What's the minimum ground Clearance for UK driving?

As low as you dare? My county's roads are a disgrace so I have a sensible ride height - but used to drive an extremely low Beetle in my yoof...
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Speed bump clearance height is required with a sump guard fitted. The minimum height should be 100 mm. The sump or gearbox housing is usually the lowest point.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/4/made

the highest point on it is not less than 25 millimetres nor more than 100 millimetres.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

I can't get 100mm on mine, probably nearer 70mm now. I fitted a Canton baffled oil pan before Christmas which lowered me another 20mm. Doesn't sound a lot but I was already low enough! So I made up an aluminium sump guard and guess what, there are a few little marks on it already, so I am pleased I went t the trouble. I used 4mm ally but on reflection 3mm would have done. On the positive side, I can jack the car up on it, it's that strong!!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

I was chatting to Jon from AK about this at Autosport and also spent some time measuring the clearance of each car on the Total Headturners stand.

Jon suggested 75mm minimum.

That 6 cars I measured varied from about 70mm up to 120mm!
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Speed bump clearance height is required with a sump guard fitted. The minimum height should be 100 mm. The sump or gearbox housing is usually the lowest point.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/4/made

the highest point on it is not less than 25 millimetres nor more than 100 millimetres.
    They could really do with some diagrams of all their imaginary lines! That made my head hurt
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I used to have 100mm between sump and road on my AK which is the lowest point, but has now decreased to 90mm having fitted a sump guard, and so far no problems, as long as i go in between the hump type road humps, and take it easy on the Fosse -Way . Legislation probably don't apply to private roads like NT properties, and retail parks ,but i'm sure they are higher that 100mm
    Last edited by psh; 04-02-20 at 10:28 AM.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Mine is 61mm from the very substantial steel sump guard. My pal’s AK is the same. We compare notes on where we bottom out and often see sparks shoot out. I assumed that was fairly standard.
    Like psh we have to take the engine between hump bumps and take the wheels over two humps.
    Another chum used to catch his sump, not sump guard, on some cats eyes until he adjusted it before it was sold on - a bit too low I reckon!
    Nuf Said

Watch the lower coolant hoses aswell especially on a Dax, reroute it and guard it also.