Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm not offended in any way,
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Date on the V5C for the 40 years rollover. I took my V5c and it disappeared in the postal DVLA system. So it ended up costing me £25 for a new V5c. Send it registered post.
    My car was correctly registered again at Chelmsford DVLA office and age related registration.

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles...-tax-exemption

If I've understood that correctly the registered date would have to be > 40 years ago. Mine is on a V plate so I believe 1980 (away from home a moment so can't check log book) so should be eligable this year? Sounds good, although I do wish I'd registered it on an older log book now just to be sure.

I've just gone through applying for a V5C for an old Triumph Spitfire. Car is > 40 years old and was PLG on the old V5C. New V5C has it as 'Historic' at nil tax rate. Not sure whether that would apply to a kit car built from a > 40 year old donor though.
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    If I've understood that correctly the registered date would have to be > 40 years ago. Mine is on a V plate so I believe 1980 (away from home a moment so can't check log book) so should be eligible this year? Sounds good, although I do wish I'd registered it on an older log book now just to be sure.
    Yes I believe you can apply for new historical status on the 40 birthday shown on your V5C "date of first registration" in section 4B . I sent mine off a few weeks early. Once it is on the V5c you still have to apply for your tax each year but its at zero cost. I think I also got a refund.

Regarding the MOT 40 year ruling. The 40 year MOT exception has a 30 year ruling that no chassis modification in the last 30 years 1990. So a chassis converted pre 1990 and register 40 years 1980 would be except is my understanding. All academic as I still have it MOT'ed.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Keep us posted on how you get on.
    I agree on the MoT exemption, it would be hard to claim the Cobra adheres to those rules and I’d also prefer to have an MoT anyhow. I don’t mind sting the cost of an MoT to my local garage either as he’s a good guy to know, it’s worth keeping them around.

I looked at the MOT 'exemption' when I sorted out the Spitfire. The 'exemption' only applies to a vehicle where 'no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works'

Its all here - https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Never realised changing the engine would cost you the tax exemption, how many classic cars are out there with different engines or even electric now?

Quote Originally Posted by route66 View Post
    I looked at the MOT 'exemption' when I sorted out the Spitfire. The 'exemption' only applies to a vehicle where 'no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works'

Its all here - https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Exactly, that’s why I say it would be hard to claim this for the Cobra, maybe in another 7 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by philbrad73 View Post
    Never realised changing the engine would cost you the tax exemption, how many classic cars are out there with different engines or even electric now?
    Does that apply to tax exemption as well as MoT

The gov link say's for tax and MOT?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast