Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Built 1998 - tax exempt???

I know this has been discussed before but I dont see how some cars seem to be tax exempt and others not. For example, I saw this post today

"5.7 chevy .4 speed top loader All jag running gear .full wet weather gear .built 1998 .reg 1970 historic vehicle (tax exempt)".

It was.my understanding that the tax exemption was based on the date the car was built and not it registration date. But clearly this car is not paying any tax! I've seen this on many adverts selling replica Cobras and have always wondered how they managed to apply and get accepted as a historic tax free vehicle.
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

Hi Kev, from Kev.
    I think the bottom line is:
    1, the year of the donor car. (Pre 73 it used to be but I believe that's now a rolling year?)
    2, Was the car built pre SVA?
    3, I fit was and can be proven, was it registered as a Cobra or whatever kit it was.
    4, There was an amnesty for cars that weren't correctly registered years ago. As long as all the above applied.
    5, These days if not registered as a Cobra of some description and still says Ford, Jaguar or whatever then it's incorrectly registered.
    6, If 1 to 3 apply, but it wasn't registered correctly. It's going to need IVA or a miracle.
    7, Anything registered today regardless of age of donor will not be Tax exempt.

Paul Jepson doesn't seem to be around these days.
    I know people that have tried to contact him recently.
    For those that don't know, Paul was a retired DVLA guy who tried and succeeded in many cases to sort this out for people.
    Last edited by kdavies3; 05-02-20 at 08:36 AM.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Based on the info you posted Kev (OP) - the car was registered before SVA came in which was 1999/2000 IIRC.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

When the amnesty was in place, pre-SVA, surely you still had to prove history and re-register the car as what it was rather than just leave it registered as a Jag?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Hi Kev, from Kev.
    I think the bottom line is:
    1, the year of the donor car. (Pre 73 it used to be but I believe that's now a rolling year?)
    2, Was the car built pre SVA?
    3, I fit was and can be proven, was it registered as a Cobra or whatever kit it was.
    4, There was an amnesty for cars that weren't correctly registered years ago. As long as all the above applied.
    5, These days if not registered as a Cobra of some description and still says Ford, Jaguar or whatever then it's incorrectly registered.
    6, If 1 to 3 apply, but it wasn't registered correctly. It's going to need IVA or a miracle.
    7, Anything registered today regardless of age of donor will not be Tax exempt.

Paul Jepson doesn't seem to be around these days.
    I know people that have tried to contact him recently.
    For those that don't know, Paul was a retired DVLA guy who tried and succeeded in many cases to sort this out for people.
    I built mine in 1997 when SVA was comming in to force, so expecting to have to get tested, but because I was able to build the car in less time than it took the government of the day to bring in SVA the car was completed first. It was correctly registered as a Gardner Douglas in 1998 (IIRC), and has an age related "V" plate, same age as the donor log book.
    In which case I may pass:
    1) Depending on how the year is rolling on.
    2) For sure
    3) Yes again.
    4) Does not apply.

Didn't think this tax exemption was ever going to apply to me but perhaps I need to look into this a bit further unless anyone can see a hole in my (often flawed) logic?

Hi to all of the above,
    Built my cob (srv with doner jag pre sva days ,it was inspected late 1997 by a representitive from the Chelmford dvla and has always been registered as an srv8 ,never as a jag .
    It is registered 1975 therefore road tax exempt ,I have not gone down the mot exemption route .
    If any of this helps,
    Regards,Chris.

regarding the vehicle The statement the OP posted relates to - it is registered correctly as an SRV8 and is down as a Southern Roadcraft, so looks all correct.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Hi chaps
    If anyone needs any info that I have just let me know ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ‘
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    Hi to all of the above,
    Built my cob (srv with doner jag pre sva days ,it was inspected late 1997 by a representitive from the Chelmford dvla and has always been registered as an srv8 ,never as a jag .
    It is registered 1975 therefore road tax exempt ,I have not gone down the mot exemption route .
    If any of this helps,
    Regards,Chris.
    Sorry Chris.

I wasnโ€™t referring to you specifically, I know there have been cars for sale recently which are said to be pre-SVA yet arenโ€™t registered correctly.

I guess I was trying to take your post in a different direction.

No offence meant x

Craig

Date on the V5C for the 40 years rollover. I took my V5c and it disappeared in the postal DVLA system. So it ended up costing me ยฃ25 for a new V5c. Send it registered post.
    My car was correctly registered again at Chelmsford DVLA office and age related registration.

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles...-tax-exemption
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast