Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

So .. only 15 years left to finish your cars, builders!

2035, no more petrol or hybrid cars, we'll all be plugged into the grid to charge our electric vehicles (assuming we've built a couple of dozen new nuclear power plants, or we'll all be working from home?).

Will I finish? Won't I? Who can tell!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

No problem.
    I plan to be dead then.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

2035 is not going to happen. The whole idea is going out for consultation. Yes it will happen eventually but who cares not me, cobs on the road and I'd be 77 by then. If I'm still here.

Baz

Il be retiring at 51 then. It’s not all bad

Personally I can’t see it happening in that time given the lack of resources and investment at present

I guess if there is enough demand an electric platform for a Cobra could be done. having already briefly looked into it there are various options with varying degrees of expense

I think as things progress the required components could be sourced no differently to the donor parts used in the current kit platforms now.

I can't imagine anyone wanting an electric Cobra, GT40. DBR recreation or a Caterham, TVR etc. So that'll be the end for the kit car and small volume market, people like Dave Brooks who produce such a fantastic product, sorry says Gove we don't need you or your skills anymore.

Who would want a silent character less Ferrari or Lambo etc. Has anyone tried watching the supposed electric F1 future replacement.

I suppose as long as we please Greta Thunderbird and ER and the tree hugging greens we will all go to heaven yippee.

Baz

As with everything in time only the wealthy can afford it. Petrol will still be available in the future, but may be £5 a litre? 80% probably being tax.

15 years to design, plan and implement an electricity infrastructure to run 32.5 million (I googled it) cars? Not a snowballs chance in hell. We can't even keep up with the needs of heating and lighting of what we already have, and they keep saying there aren't enough houses! The only way to supply that much "green" electricity with today's technology is nuclear, the public enquiry would take 15+ years on it's own. And who is going to pay for the roads when "everyone" has tax free motoring, that's going to be the first thing to go.
    Last edited by Gatwick Axe Man; 05-02-20 at 09:22 PM.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatwick Axe Man View Post
    15 years to design, plan and implement an electricity infrastructure to run 32.5 million (I googled it) cars? Not a snowballs chance in hell. We can't even keep up with the needs of heating and lighting of what we already have, and they keep saying there aren't enough houses! The only way to supply that much "green" electricity with today's technology is nuclear, the public enquiry would take 15+ years on it's own. And who is going to pay for the roads when "everyone" has tax free motoring, that's going to be the first thing to go.
    At my age, I can just remember the days when road tax actually went on mending roads !

Brain

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    2035, no more petrol or hybrid cars, we'll all be plugged into the grid to charge our electric vehicles (assuming we've built a couple of dozen new nuclear power plants, or we'll all be working from home?).

Will I finish? Won't I? Who can tell!
    Hummmmmmmmmmmmm, you best get out in the garage this weekend then

So could we see a petrol engine just for show and for the noise with electric motor drive train.
    Fast forward 2035. Electric motors will be half the size for twice the power. Batteries will be twice as powerful and.half the size.
    A flying car will be like the Tesla of today. No road infrastructure to maintaine and they will self fly.
    You will be towing your cobra car to shows just for an engine start up. But you can guarantee that the state of the roads will be even worse with potholes.
    Everyone will be vegan!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast