Australian member

Hello.
    Seems I registered here on the UK Cobra Club back in 2011....and I've never actually posted here before.
    I'm located in Adelaide, South Australia. I'm part way through building my 289FIA Cobra replica. It's a slow but immensely satisfying venture.
    The car is a "PACE" 289FIA replica, and to my knowledge it's the first FIA Cobra replica in Australia.

Cheers,
    Glen

Hi Glen,
    Nice to see some photos on your progress and the chassis design. I am sure you will get lots of encouragement from the forum and post any question as someone has probably had the same challenge in there build.

Hi Glen,

Welcome aboard all are welcome - good to get a perspective view on how our hobbies are dealt with in other locations as regards to registration, legality, engine restrictions etc.

Get some photos posted (use the Gallery option in top menu, and then Upload photo on far right side) of your build progress - we love photos here

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    Hi Glen,
    Nice to see some photos on your progress and the chassis design. I am sure you will get lots of encouragement from the forum and post any question as someone has probably had the same challenge in there build.
    Thanks for the reply. Encouragement is always welcome in this 'hobby'.

Cheers,
    Glen

Quote Originally Posted by nealgs View Post
    Hi Glen,

Welcome aboard all are welcome - good to get a perspective view on how our hobbies are dealt with in other locations as regards to registration, legality, engine restrictions etc.

Get some photos posted (use the Gallery option in top menu, and then Upload photo on far right side) of your build progress - we love photos here

rgds
    Gary
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for the welcome. I'll post some pictures and more details of the build. Best to start a build thread?

Cheers,
    Glen

build sounds like a good idea
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Yes a build thread is ideal .Also it's a good record of your progress.

Background to my Cobra story

Hello again.

Yes, I will start a build thread shortly, but a little background information here first.

Way back in 2011, I decided it was time to get serious about satisfying a life-long desire to build/have/own a Cobra replica.
    My initial thoughts were to import a 30+ year old 427 Cobra replica from USA. A 30 year old car, because that would make registration much easier here in Australia. Even still, I would have had to change the car from LHD to RHD to be able to register it here (at that time....it's changed now). So, thoughts changed to ordering and importing an ERA FIA Cobra kit from, of all places, New Britain, Connecticut, USA. I had placed an order and a deposit, but problems with ERA building a RHD car, and also import 'challenges' convinced me to rethink the decision. For example, my car would have had to come into Australia in two separate shipments, the body in one shipment and the chassis in another, so that it wouldn't be regarded as a 'car'. As can be imagined, that perceived path also became just too cumbersome and too costly to consider continuing, so after six months, I had my deposit returned. A pity at the time; ERA do make very nice cars.

I continued to long for a Cobra, and I eventually heard of a company in Queensland, "PACE", who were doing some interesting and innovative things with 427 Cobra replicas. To cut a very long story short, PACE listened to my desire to build an FIA replica (I had at that stage decided to build one of their 427s as a roadster) and they offered to build a 289FIA roller kit for me on the PACE 427 chassis and using an FIA body imported from Bruce Chervenak in Philadelphia. It would be the first FIA replica in Australia. That was the start of the next stage of satisfying my desire to build my own Cobra, and it's a 289FIA which I had always wanted.

As an aside, I was able to track via satellite the ship containing my FIA body all the way down the USA east coast, through the Panama Canal to Auckland, NZ, and then across to Sydney, Aus. It was then taken by road transport up to the Gold Coast, Qld. Aus. Once PACE had worked some magic on it, it was into a container and down to me in Adelaide, SA, via train and road transport. It really has been a global operation.

I'll continue the story in a build thread.

Cheers!
    Glen

Hi Gary
    I believe there is a 289FIA Replica in Christchurch across the ‘trench’. Still a bit far to meet up though🙄

Quote Originally Posted by BomberG View Post
    Hi Gary
    I believe there is a 289FIA Replica in Christchurch across the ‘trench’. Still a bit far to meet up though������
    Mine car was the first FIA in Australia, but there's PACE #2 FIA alive and well in Canberra, Aus. The body on that car came from the "splash" mould taken from by car's body.

And, yes, NZ does have a lot of interesting older cars.

Cheers,
    Glen