Thread: Towing eye

Towing eye

Has anyone fitted a towing eye to a sumo?, considering the front apron is lower than the chassis,the bodywork could be damaged by fastening a cable to suspension or chassis to load on breakdown truck, or even getting a tow.

Not a Sumo, but I’ve been pulled onto a Tow truck 3 times now with Zero damage. They’re geared up for low sports cars so not really a challenge for them at all.

Rgds

Jim

Yes, I'll try to get a photo.

Have a search through the forum threads. There are a number of people who have made up a bracket to the chassis to which a towing eye can be screwed into when needed. Either through the radiator opening or the brake apertures in the body.
    http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showt...ght=towing+eye

Russ
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

I made one for my AK. I made a bracket that was fastened to the inner wing and chassis. The point of entry is the oval air duct. I keep an M16 eyebolt in my boot and put it in place when needed. It was tested last year when I had to go on a low loader when my clutch failed. I also made a towbar for the rear in case I had to assist a mate at any time when on our travels. Not used this but it could also be used for being winched up onto a low loader.
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Hi,

I fitted a towing eye to my Mk.3 Sumo, mainly for use on track days but it would serve for towing or loading onto a breakdown truck.

I made a bracket out of a section of 4mm angle which was bolted to the side of the offside lower chassis rail at the front with M12 bolts. The towing eye protrudes under the front body as shown below.

Hope this helps, good luck with it

Ian

Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Here is the one I made and have used, once. A loop of steel welded to a drop plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images