Build thread 289FIA

Time to start my build thread. This "build thread" will be a little different to start with as the build actually started some years ago, and I'm now around 2/3 of the way to completion. I'm a new member here so I have some catching up to do to bring my build thread up to its current state. So....please bear with me.

The car is a 289FIA replica, and is actually the first FIA (to anybody's knowledge here) to be built here in Australia. Hence, the body had to come from America, from Bruce Chervenak in Philadelphia. Bruce has a reputation for producing very accurate FIA and roadster/slabside bodies. The decision to source from Bruce was an easy one.

PACE, located at the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia (around 2000km / 1250miles from me in Adelaide, South Australia) were the people who organised the body and chassis for me.

Here's the body sections in the back alley behind Bruce's workshop in Philly....

More to follow!

Cheers,
    Glen

Hi Glen and welcome. It will be an interesting project to watch. I'm sure the members of The 289 Register here in the UK will be interested. You can check out their website here. www.the289register.com
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Thanks Clive. It's a fair bet that you're not in Perth, Western Australia
    I didn't know there was a 289 register; I'll have a look there.

Cheers,
    Glen

Quote Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
    Thanks Clive. It's a fair bet that you're not in Perth, Western Australia
    I didn't know there was a 289 register; I'll have a look there.

Cheers,
    Glen
    No Glen, I live in the original Perth, although it wouldn't be the first time that our post has arrived via Perth, Oz!
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

So, after tracking via satellite the ship containing my car's body down the US east coast, through the Panama, across to Auckland and then Sydney, Australia, it arrived in the Gold Coast.

Here it is on arrival, and set up on a chassis jig for dimensional checking....

....and here it is some time later after considerable work had been done....

The underside of the shell has a carbon fibre / kevlar fabric layer bonded onto it. The carbon fibre provides stiffness and strength, and the kevlar adds substantial impact and fracture resistance. Worth having

More soon!

Cheers,
    Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Hi Glen and welcome. It will be an interesting project to watch. I'm sure the members of The 289 Register here in the UK will be interested. You can check out their website here. www.the289register.com
    Looks like the 289 Register is the place I should really be for documenting my 289FIA build.
    There is of course plenty of general 'Cobra-building' information that's relevant to my requirements here on this site as well, so I'll continue to drop by, and probably contribute.

Cheers,
    Glen