Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine and gearbox

Has anyone got any ideas on the pro,s and con,s of importing an engine package c/w gearbox from the USA. They do seem to cater for this type of thing a lot more. What about emissions and that sort of thing.

quite a few on here have ordered from US - Engine Factory is one of the places used iirc

Not sure what costs are like at the moment compared to buying in the uk depends on exchange rate etc.
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Why not try Real Steel? All duties already paid and you know what you are getting right here in the UK. It may be cheaper going direct to the States but in the long run, if you buy here you have the convenience and a go to shop should there be a warranty issue.

David.

David
    Already tried Real Steel and they could not help much, i think it may be that i was after chevy package and they seemed only good for Ford.
    Martin

- the key thing is engine age.

if you are going for a new registration plate, you will probably want a new engine....that will the need to comply with current emission standards.

if, on the other hand, you are going for age-related, then you need an engine with a stamped/cast engine number that is traceable for the engine's age, and which will then carry more relaxed emissions standards.

Whether you are importing or buying in the UK, the above still holds. Just don't import a brand new crate engine only to find you need to spend another £2k on EFI to meet the emissions standards.

Have you looked here:

https://roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.php?...egory&path=162
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I totally agree with comments posted, you need a price guide and also a spec but not losing sight of a replica build! So a purist is nuts & bolts dot the i’s and cross the t’s but if you’re building a replica to enjoy then I believe a pre 86 Chevy is a smoke test so you don’t need cats £3-5k depending on performance. Then corvette type LS3 or 4 is £15k roughly, good luck keep asking on forum as a great place to be inquisitive.
    Mark.
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

I highly recommend Customcrate Engines in Florida or otherwise known as Proformance Engines. I bought a 1973 350 SBC, stroked 383. THey are helpful, full photos and video of build, full break in and dyno run. Obviously you have to weigh up chance of a future issue and that they are in the USA....but i dont think that should deter you.

Here is my edited video. They will ship it to your door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbBxt3itd9o
    AK Cobra started 06/19
    Chevy 383 Stroker, TKO 600
    See my build on instagram: Julesdm14

Well things have moved on and now i am waiting for a quote from Engine Factory.I did try Roadcraft but they seemed to have trouble getting refurbished old blocks, the alternative was an LS3 but i just need a simple setup.
    Martin

LS3 isn’t that complex in reality, Partsworld performance look like they knock them out at £5,800 but you’ll need the loom and ECU at £1,000 on top of that. By the time you’ve paid shipping, import duty, tax on everything, transport to your door etc etc I wonder how much cheaper (if any) a Carb fed jobbie would be from the states.

And I do think a UK supplier gives you a bit of comfort should the worst happen to your engine.

Rgds

Jim

PS - Might be worth speaking with the manufacturers (AK/GD etc) as they may be able to supply as well (or know of someone about to sell a boat anchor due to an upgrade to LS )
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

It gets even more complicated when you investigate further ,it seems that even older engines that originally just required a smoke test may now fail the IVA test depending on when the kit was first registered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast