Thread: Which oil

Which oil

I know it’s an “ how long is a piece of string” type of question, but which oil? Running a small block 351w stroked to 427, it’s crate tuned engine I think built for 1/4 mile runs. I was recommended 15-40 mineral which in the summer has been fine, but I suspect a little to thick. Any way long story short, too thick for winter, it’s dry sump with reservoir in the boot so 4m of hoses too- basically too thick to move and luckily only blew the seal on the oil filter, any suggestions what oil would best suit and keep the engine “safe”
    Cheers

If I don’t respond I’m out still cleaning the driveway 🤬
    imported Factory Five blown 427

Whatever oil you choose, a decent glug of break in oil additive (see real steel website) in with it is a real help for these old flat tappet engines.
    Simon
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

Don't be tempted to run a thinner oil,if you cant mount the dry sump tank close to the engine then your pipe work must have a minimum bore of 19mm and use the goodridge type pipe fittings.Make sure the oil is up to working temp before giving the engine any revs.

The car has all stainless braided hoses - I should have an oil heater for cold or other advice has been run 10-30 for winter - I’m not expecting to drag race like it was built for- what breed of oil over here in Uk is readily available and a good choice .... it’s running quite a high pressure pump too it seems, purely to thick oil in cold - didn’t rev the car - has no choke so some throttle is always required.

This might work with your dry sump. It does not cost a lot. I think its work using for all engines to reduce cold start up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFoHZ-kAcQY
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Ye gods that took me back.... my grandad used to have a tiny paraffin heater with a wick that he used to light and push under the sump of his Vauxhall Velox in the garage on cold winter nights. This was in the days before commonly available multi grade oils.
    Health and safety? Pah!

Simon
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

Haha - thinking about installing a log burner in the garage .... haha

Has to dry sump pump not got a method of adjusting oil pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Damo_factory_5 View Post
    Haha - thinking about installing a log burner in the garage .... haha
    Ive got one !!!!
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan

I'd be investigating a little deeper for the solution to this rather than just an oil change. 15-40 is not a particularly thick oil (those engines were designed to run on something like 20-50) and anyway, the relief valve in the pump should cope with an over-pressure condition. There is no good reason to run a lot of oil pressure: 40-50 psi is fine.
    Cheers

Myles D-W