Thread: Self centering

Self centering

I’ma bit worried about self centering for IVA, it feels as though something is preventing the wheels from self centering, as though there is some resistance or its binding somewhere.

Caster angle is ok, anyone else had this??
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Presuming the caster is ok. Have you checked steering column bushes?

Why not disconnect the lower steering uj and then see what your lock to lock sweep is like with the front end lifted.

At least if you did this you would confirm if any resistance is located in the steering rack or the column.

I did half of this today, by disconnecting the column from the extension piece and there was no issue with the column.

Guess I’ll have to jack the front end up next weekend and check the other half out.

Have you restricted the lock for iva? And if so how? If so did you hose clip the rack behind the boot?

Yes, to prevent the wheels touching the arch.

Pipe clamp under the gaiter, clamped to rod end (but I think the problem was there before I fitted them).

With the column extension removed, does the steering wheel spin round when you flick it with your hand?? It needs to spin freely with no resistance, if there is resistance then i would check the bulkhead bush.

Jon AK

Quote Originally Posted by aksportscars View Post
    With the column extension removed, does the steering wheel spin round when you flick it with your hand?? It needs to spin freely with no resistance, if there is resistance then i would check the bulkhead bush.

Jon AK
    Yeah, did that this weekend, the column is turning freely.

Need to get the front end up this weekend coming and rule out each side/component. Going to start by removing the track rod ends and checking each hub/ball joint on both sides.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Hi i have today driven it for the first time to an MOT pre IVA in a couple of weeks. My self centering is poor as well. The garage took my whole steering to pieces and established that the hub connections to the suspension are so tight the wheels do not flop right or left when pushed with track rod arms removed. He is of the opinion this is the binding and that possibly after time and driving it could loosen up. Dont know how i will persuade the IVA man of this......;
    Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    Yeah, did that this weekend, the column is turning freely.

Need to get the front end up this weekend coming and rule out each side/component. Going to start by removing the track rod ends and checking each hub/ball joint on both sides.
    AK Cobra started 06/19
    Chevy 383 Stroker, TKO 600
    See my build on instagram: Julesdm14