Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I worked through exactly this issue years ago and worked out the end-float issue as in my post above was the cause. (in my case of course)

It started with my MOT guy saying wheel bearing wear.
    I changed out the hubs as I had some recon ones to hand. Still had the room evident.
    Then I changed out the drive shaft Uni joints. Old ones seemed in good shape but fitted out the new ones anyway. re-assembled and ... room still evident.
    So careful study of the setup brought about the conclusion that at full droop the driveshaft UJ's move which does not occur in level travel.
    I proved this by locking out the end-float with wooden wedges and hey presto! no wheel bearing type room evident.
    Most MOT testers will jack up the rear of the car by the chassis which is understandable but it is the droop of the suspension that allows the float.
    So jacking (carefully) under the wishbone keeps everything aligned as it is at ride height.
    Another aspect is that a Uni full of fresh grease will not allow the end-float to move so easily. So this is how most cars will start out and maybe after settling in the wobble test will feel different to how it was when 'new'

Just my experience of course.

Regards,

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Oh, I just remembered.
    Another way I narrowed down the cause was putting a DTI onto the hub and the hub carrier to establish what was moving where.

A
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    Hi,
    I have just re-checked my 74 xj rear end that is fitted to an early Southern roadcraft kit .
    All the bearings were replaced along with all other usual stuff that needs doing on the xj rear end .
    To date I have covered 10k miles and it seems to have the same "play" that is mentioned by quite a few other people ,cobra and e-type owners .It does require a small amount of play due to heat expansion, just hope the new mot people know this otherwise it will cause unnecessary work and expense .
    Regards ,Chris.
    Unfortunately the old guy who always tested it before has now gone and the new guy is about 20 years old and only been MOT testing for 3 weeks. It's not going to be an easy one to explain to him. I'm guessing that the play would be on both wheels though and it only failed on one side.
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev38 View Post
    Unfortunately the old guy who always tested it before has now gone and the new guy is about 20 years old and only been MOT testing for 3 weeks. It's not going to be an easy one to explain to him. I'm guessing that the play would be on both wheels though and it only failed on one side.
    Both sides do need to be correctly shimmed ,different shim for each side .
    It is possible to have a problem with only one side, it happened to me very early on, needed to reduce the shim size ,
    good luck,
    Chris.
    Last edited by Chris1; 25-02-20 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkev38 View Post
    I discovered it was slightly more pronounced on the short shaft side due to increased angles

A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12