Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jag XJ rear wheel bearings

Just failed my MOT on the rear wheel with too much movement. Failure certificate says 'Wheel bearing has excessive play offside rear'.
    I believe my Dax has Jaguar XJ running gear, would anyone know if these are adjustable? There's never been any mention of play before and I've done no more than a couple of hundred miles since the last test.
    Dax MK4, RV8

Better to try, and fail....than to fail to try.

It does seem strange if you have not done many miles since your last MOT. The rear hub is shimmed for adjustment for end float. If the bearings are ok a re-shim will take of the end float. They might of stated bearings but also look at your drive shaft U/J's as there seems to be a batch which only lasted a year! You need two people ideally one pulling while the other is underneath looking for movement.

Take a bit of setting up.

https://youtu.be/qdNyUeFyh4E

You can do a swap on a hub which has been rebuilt. Ward engineer in Essex is not far form you. If one has play I would also look at the other side as most people change pairs.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Or you might find that the movement is coming from the inner end of the shaft (the output flange on the diff.)
    Not uncommon.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

As others have said, probably not wheel bearings but too much end float due to which thickness spacer has been fitted. You need to buy the correct spacer (up to 0.150") to give you an end float of 0.002" to 0.006".
    Good luck with getting the correct shim as Jaguar sell them in multiples of 5. I bought mine from https://www.martinrobey.com/jaguar/e...uspension/3973 due to postage costs, service and I could buy one at a time.
    The part number is CCC680610, where the last two numbers are the thickness - i.e. 0.110"

James.
    James G
    Purple Dax / Ford 260/4 speed toploader all in need of TLC and cash but the dreams are there. Dream on - car now blue, Ford 302 and Tremec T5, 4 years later....

Hi,

A quick check that may save you some bother and expense is to check with the rear wheels at ride height. This is by jacking under the wishbones.
    If the Jag suspension is checked in the usual way at full droop the driveshaft universal cross pieces will allow end float (which has to be there foe thermal expansion reasons). This feels exactly the same as room in a wheel bearing.
    If checked with the driveshafts straight it will eliminate the tendency for this end float to show.

Good luck,

Andy
    A S motorsport Ltd. 01379 688356 mob; 07909531816 web; asmotorsport.co.uk email \"andrewsoar@yahoo.com\"

Check the driveshaft uj's for movement, quite common for these to fail early, especially if cheap ones were used

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Thank you, all very useful info.
    Does anyone know how I tell if it's running XJS OR XJ6 running gear? Or are the hubs the same for both?
    Dax MK4, RV8

The XJ6 and pre-facelift XJS hubs are the same PART NUMBER: C26699 . XJS 1986/87 introduced the ABS and ring and sensor was introduced with an additional hole. Common issue is hairline cracks in hubs. Its worth checking if the crack extends into webbing area. It is apparently down to bad casting at the forge but if the crack is into the webbing then I would be concerned and look at replacing.

Just a point when your looking for movement. Have the vehicle off the ground as the weight of the car tightens everything and can hide any loose parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jon1d; 25-02-20 at 12:20 PM.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Thank you so much, I love this site, i dont know what I'd do without it
    Dax MK4, RV8

Hi,
    I have just re-checked my 74 xj rear end that is fitted to an early Southern roadcraft kit .
    All the bearings were replaced along with all other usual stuff that needs doing on the xj rear end .
    To date I have covered 10k miles and it seems to have the same "play" that is mentioned by quite a few other people ,cobra and e-type owners .It does require a small amount of play due to heat expansion, just hope the new mot people know this otherwise it will cause unnecessary work and expense .
    Regards ,Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast