Seat belt anchorage

Continuing with my AK build i started to look at the lower seat belt anchorage points, i purchased some 7/16 UNF eye bolts and it looks as though they screw into the existing tapped holes in the chassis,now i presume that they do need to be eye bolts as when you look at seat belts/safety harness connections they generally show a spring type catch arrangement which attaches to the eye bolt, is this the correct interpretation.

The harnesses bolt flat to the chassis with normal bolts, you need eyed for the top mounts.

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Paul
    Thats how i thought it might be ,but when you look at modern safety harnesses for instance in Merlin motor sport the harness end connections are all spring type catch arrangements.
    Confusing ! Also the tapped hole in the chassis lays back from the fibre glass foot well by about 7 mm which means that when you tighten the bolt whether its an eye bolt or just a plain bolt the fibre glass will crack unless spacer washers are added, not the best design for a safety relevant part.

These are the type of harness you need, as Paul says, eye bolt at the top, bolts at the hips.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...4w?pn=SS3X4B-W
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    Paul
    Thats how i thought it might be ,but when you look at modern safety harnesses for instance in Merlin motor sport the harness end connections are all spring type catch arrangements.
    Confusing ! Also the tapped hole in the chassis lays back from the fibre glass foot well by about 7 mm which means that when you tighten the bolt whether its an eye bolt or just a plain bolt the fibre glass will crack unless spacer washers are added, not the best design for a safety relevant part.
    My body when fitted was quite tight to the fixing holes, once the fibreglass was removed over the fixing hole a large washer was enough to allow the bolt to tighten up with no issues

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Eyebolts top and bottom on mine

I think IVA chap would like to see the swinging brackets with the catch need clearance and not foul on the seat or headrest

When I fixed my lower bolts I made a spacer which went through the fibreglass and then sat flat on the chassis. This got over the flexing off the fibreglass
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    Paul
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Yes
    I have come to the same conclusion,make up a spacer or use washers to bridge the gap, and having spoken to Merlin motor sport ordinary grade 8.8 hex bolts are the way to fix the lower belt to chassis anchorage points.
    Regards

Did mine similar to Charlie.
    Used a lock nut and wavy washer to allow a bit of rotation on the belt Anchorage.
    The locknut acts as a spacer.

43F3FF49-A002-45A6-9F71-E8E758DBA0BD.jpeg
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com