Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Dax Power steering

Morning All,
    I've got my IVA re-test date looming so naturally, i'm looking for the first of the post-test mods to make on the car.
    One will be a conversion to LED headlights but the 2nd on the list will be to fit power steering.

I currently have a non-powered Sierra steering column with the rack bought from DAX (a long long time ago). From what i can gathering the usual method is to replace the existing Sierra column with a Corsa B column (along with the ECU & motor). It looks like the Corsa B columns are becoming increasingly rare now but the Corsa C columns are still fairly plentiful on certain auction sites. Has anyone successfully fitted a Corsa C column to a DAX and would the Corsa B adapter kit from JK / Dax still fit?

Alternatively, has anyone got any other methods of providing power steering to an old-ish Dax?

Any thoughts / tips are appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mark

I went with the Corsa B column because the ECU can be remotely mounted out of the way as it has a longer cable than the Corsa C. If you have limited space. The Corsa C also overall is a longer column.

The Dax kit is made for the Corsa B to bolt straight onto the front scuttle frame with U-bolts . The end of the shaft is modified my Dax and welded for the correct length.

The Corsa C is the bottom of the two in picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Thanks. i think i'll have to keep an eye on ebay for any Corsa B columns that come up. I had a quick look this morning and couldn't see any suitable which included the ECU and motor. I might have to be a little less picky!

Corsa C in my old Dax
    Easy to make up your own mounting bracket and weld it or just bolt it on box section hoop.
    Just enough loom to relocate the ECU on top of my bracket

I used old BL Mini column stalks fitted to the Corsa column....easy to wire up the wiper etc.

Was that using the fixed or adjustable column?

I'm OK with most car building activities but have always been a bit rubbish at welding. It's a long time ago since i tried though so it might be worth using this as an excuse to try again.

I've got the stainless wiper / lighting stalks that i'd eventually like to fit so would probably adapt the Corsa stalks to suit.

Fixed column.
    Corsa column stalks ------the very best of luck with the Vauxhall wiring
    that's why I went for the old Mini stalks

Thanks. I've got a few weeks until the IVA (20th March) so there's plenty of time to get my head around the Vauxhall wiring and any peculiarities. I might even look to keep the Sierra stalks if possible.

Hi Mark sent you PM.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Mark,

If you have not done so all ready, might be an idea to read up on the lack of steering feel and potential loss of self centering, before committing to epas. On a De-dion it seems to be possible to maintain the self centering, not on an IRS though. I found out the hard way.

I've been looking at th evarious conversations around the subject. I've got a De-dion car though so i'm hoping it will be OK for self centering.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast