Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Speedo reading too high

Hi

I’ve just bought a Gen 1 427 and the speedo is reading about 15-20% too high. Any idea what the problem could be? Not sure if speedo can be calibrated.

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the Club.

Almost definitely needs to be calibrated, most Speedo’s can be tweaked (either button setting or via DIP Switches on the back). Best bet would be to put up a photo of the speedo and see if someone recognises it and can give you advice.

Best Regards

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Is it a cable drive speedo, or electronic?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Richard, if the speedo has any digital readout on it ,chances are it’s electrically driven, you should be looking at recalibrating it which should be easy enough, if it’s all manual and it has a big thick drive cable screwed into the back you may need to look at the drive gear on the gearbox. I’m betting if it’s a gen 1 AK it has a getrag? I may have a manual drive gear on my bench somewhere. If it’s a tremec you should be able to get a drive gear on line.
    I think K Davies knows which drive works best on the tremec if my memory is not fading....

many thanks for the quick responses

I have a photo which unfortunately does not give the make but hopefully one if you will recognise it. Will try and work out how to post it (new phone!)

A follow on question - how is the dash normally fitted? Not sure i can get behind the dash to remove the speedo without undoing the whole thing.
    Last edited by Richandria; 24-03-20 at 08:17 PM.

The dash has threaded lengths bonded in, if you look at the top of the scuttle you will see the lip going down behind the dash, it’s this lip the dash sits on, the threaded lengths go through holes in this lip, another member might have an old photo to show you the positions of the threads. Mine was supplied with wing nuts and penny washers some builders may have used nuts? The first one will be at the edge of the dash at either end, you should be able to get your hand up behind and feel these quite easy

In fact text me your number, I’ve just found one on me phone 07932565091

Looks electronic to me!! It should be a 5 min job, now........I ain’t done an electric speedo so someone will be along soon to tell you how easy it should be!

Welcome Richard

Thats an ETB Instruments speedo.

Have a look here

https://etbinstruments.com/image/dat...002_1a44_D.pdf
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast