Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This whole thing looks like a design defect and a modification is in order. If you have access to a lathe, you can make the spacer below. If you have to pay to have one made, then I'd consider a different brand alternator that doesn't have this defect.

John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Hi Tommy,

Andy posted an ebay item on the original post which I bought and it was a direct fan swap

Barry
    AK Gen 1, SBC 350, 3.54PL Diff, Getrag - Build Start 03/09/2010 Passed IVA 01/09/2014 On the Road 01/10/2014

Its a dead link mate item no longer listed. Have you any other info on it?

Cheers for the help John, no access to a lathe for me.... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy-boy View Post
    Cheers for the help John, no access to a lathe for me.... yet.
    So... I take it that "C" piece is actually part of the fan and over time sheared away in almost a perfect circle?

You might try substituting the top spacer with two larger diameter (and thick) washers. So stack 1 spacer, then two larger washers, then the "C" part to center the fan and clamp the pulley on. Cheap, quick, and will probably last long enough for you to determine a permanent course of action.

If I am looking at this right, I'd install a larger diameter washer under a replacement fan as it seems it needs the extra support. You'd have to play with the number of washers and spacers to keep the pulley aligned with the other pulleys or your belt may prematurely wear.

Cheers back to you. Tis Friday evening and after suffering with stomach flu for almost 3 days, I think I'll tempt fate and have a little rum tonight. The irony of it all; with all the Covid-19 safety stuff being practised, I still managed to come down with a stomach virus.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Tommy, I've just text you, I've found 2, 3/4" centres, or 16.66 mm!
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12