Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proform Alternator fan.

Hello all how is isolation going for everyone. I must admit my long list of jobs is getting smaller and smaller. Kitchen painted, check. Garden sorted, check. House cleaned from top to bottom, check. Plus many many more including cleaning the garage roof tiles...haha

However i’m having some alternator issues, its working physically fine and doing its job however the fan is slipping and clattering around making one hell of a racket when the engine is running.

Upon stripping it down i can see that the lower spacer and fan itself have a keyway notch (terminology?) however nothing on the alternator spindle or anywhere to lock the fan in as such. So it just free to spin on the spindle.

Anyone got any advice or can confirm the components as in the video.

https://youtu.be/EUXDKhnw7II
    It's alive!!!! Whahaha haha. I'v created a monster!http://tommysak427.blogspot.com..……Because I'm classed as young I am inferior, I must respect my elders, especially the ones with a full garage!!!

Tommy, the hole in the fan is enlarged, the spacer is correct, I think the one above the spacer should be okay or its a spring washer that's knackered, the fan and everything else above it is correct. You put a screwdriver into the inside to jam it, tighten it up F.T. you are clamping everything to the shaft so it spins. I may have a spare fan, let me check later, if I have you can have it!
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Tommy,

Interesting, I'm no expert but the first item appeared to be some form of dog.

Moving on to the alternator, when you are turning the shaft (around 19 - 25 seconds in) does, what looks like the inner race of the bearing, turn with the shaft?

I was going to go on to say that if it did then the fan should be driven by being held between the inner sleeve (given that it does turn with the shaft) and the nut. The pulley similarly drives the shaft by being held by the same method, as there is no keyway on either the shaft or the pulley and the pulley is under a much heavier load, so if that doesn't slip then neither should the fan.

However when I looked more closely the fan appears to fit outside of the two sleeves so would look to be completely unattached and to be sitting on the front housing of the alternator!! - is the back of the fan as polished as the front of the alternator housing?

My best guess would be that either some device, which joined the fan to the sleeves has disintegrated or that one of the sleeves was welded to the fan and the weld has failed. One option would be to fit the sleeves & fan onto the shaft, tack weld the sleeve to the fan, remove and weld up - what could go wrong?

Hope this helps, good luck with it

Take care,
    Ian

Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

The fan has the cut out be cause it's used across different applications, some alternator shafts used to have a woodruff keys but it's cheaper to make spring washers and tighten it F.T.
    Tommy what is the diameter of the fan hole?

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

The wear on the back of the pulley shows slippage. With it being chrome your getting rotation with slippage. The back might not be perfectly flat so addition of a serrated or Nordlock Type Washers washer might help .
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Just had a quick look, can't see it so will have a look at the weekend, as the fan has been free spinning the hole has enlarged, I'm sure when I find mine it will tell us what the correct diameter should be

Cheers for the help in this fellas.

The alternator fan started squealing last year on way to the MOT, however with a grand total of around 50-75 miles last year what with life, family and house move it got put on my “to do” list. Its been bugging me since as when i do a start up just for fun it sounds terrible.

Lee. I agree that it could be a spring washer that has split/flattened/died and with the rotation of the main shaft it has elongated/increased the centre hole of the fan which now spins freely of the main spindle

Ian. Yes the first item is a “Saxon” of the breed English Bull Terrier. He’s coming up a year old now, time flies. I have considered dropping a little weld on to hold all in place, but i only have an arch welder and i’m not very good still. So was just trying to find out what i’m missing or has failed so that a repair can not create further issues. I’m swinging towards the same conclusion as Lee with the fan hole now enlarged as so not getting clamped between the spacer sleeve and the pulley, however i have nothing to compare against.

Jon, thanks for tip. I will figure out how to sort it. Either weld like Ian has said or some form of washer to clamp the fan down. The main nut was on absolutely chuffing tight so I'm confident no movement from that point but as said just before I'm trying to find what exactly has failed or disintegrated from how it was originally.

Cheers fellas

Tommy

Hi Tommy,

Hope you are well, i think i went through the same last year. Replaced the fan in the end. Hope you get it sorted, the link below has some photos to compared

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61611

Thats looking exactly the same Barry. Was the end result a new alternator or did you manage to fix it?

I think Alans reply in your thread is a good example of why not to fix with a weld! Lol ninja stars !

Looks to me like the split ring must be thicker (maybe only by a hair) so the fan itself is not clamped. If you were to sand the split washer down so it's a bit thinner than the fan and then reassemble everything it ought to work OK.

Alternately (good word for this thread) you could make a little piece of metal to drop in where the gaps meet, but the fan would still be loose and it would probably eventually fail.

edit: just watched the video again. In order for my suggestion to work, the spacer below the split ring must be a larger diameter than the fan hole. So maybe make up a new spacer and sand down the split ring.
    Last edited by Eggbert; 27-03-20 at 10:26 AM.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast