Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refurb advice

A coyote would be interesting. I think people go for the Chevy or LS route as it's common and people follow the crowd. All will have there challenges.
    Chevy parts are readily available. I don't have any problems sourcing parts for 1971 Ford 351c from U.k. suppliers.
    Look more at low torque cam rather than high BHP as road use will be all in power band below 3,000 rpm and more drive able. You could go injection but carbs are simple and work. Choices,choices.Part of the fun in a build.

I believe the Coyote engine is quite tall, and wide, so be careful it'll fit before committing to that route.
    Anyway, if its your first build, then stick to standard routes to avoid all sorts of pitfalls that will sap your enthusiasm.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Coyotes fit in many American kits as their bodies are more true to size, the UK bodies are more slimmer and the centre line hump is not as high, yes people get big blocks under their bonnets but it's done with compromises and even running less ground clearance for the sump. Believe it or not, I have the original style scoop on mine and I get better clearance for the filter than my mates moulded in scoop, same kits with same engines!
    I have a Cleveland and a '66 289 under the bench, but I'm toying with the idea of buying a gen 3 coyote and importing an American kit.....hmmmm.
    Or it will be an ERA kit and I use either of the two old school engines.........sigh...........I wish I had more time!
    Whatever you do have a vision of what your end result needs to look, stick to it and enjoy it, advice is worth what you pay for it, but a lot of us builders here have already made the mistakes you will probably encounter, just ask and we can only offer our opinion...........good luck on your journey!
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by 427jlc View Post
    Coyotes fit in many American kits as their bodies are more true to size, the UK bodies are more slimmer and the centre line hump is not as high, yes people get big blocks under their bonnets but it's done with compromises and even running less ground clearance for the sump. Believe it or not, I have the original style scoop on mine and I get better clearance for the filter than my mates moulded in scoop, same kits with same engines!
    I have a Cleveland and a '66 289 under the bench, but I'm toying with the idea of buying a gen 3 coyote and importing an American kit.....hmmmm.
    Or it will be an ERA kit and I use either of the two old school engines.........sigh...........I wish I had more time!
    Whatever you do have a vision of what your end result needs to look, stick to it and enjoy it, advice is worth what you pay for it, but a lot of us builders here have already made the mistakes you will probably encounter, just ask and we can only offer our opinion...........good luck on your journey!
    ERA is one of the best - I looked quite hard at this as an option before I plumped for the Crendon. The only disadvantages I could see were the slightly odd roll hoop fixation and the square section ladder frame. In 2009 I could have imported the kit with all major parts for about £20k - probably rather more now with inflation and the decline in sterling.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Going for the mk4. Uts a little bigger ie more room for the more padded individual among us... looking at a chevy engine as well. I know its not original but a ford engine that passes emissions isn't easy to find
    That's a good combo, although I may be a little biased 😉

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12