XJ6 Rear Brake calipers and shimming.

Installing the rear discs and calipers on Jaguar IRS. The alignment of the caliper to the disc should be equal on both sides. The Haynes manual states you should shim the disc for a central position.

Taking any datum off the caliper seems to be variable due to the rough casting. I have found one caliper is a lot wider than the other measuring the gap at the front so it makes me wonder how accurate are these castings.

My understand it should be equal for even brake pad and the hand brake pad wear. Removing any spacers from the inner needs to be added to the outer to compensate and keep the same camber.

Any thoughts ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

No doubt the manual is correct, however I wouldn't bother. Side to side clearance is sort of moot as their is a piston on each side. One will take up more than the other, but it wouldn't be much.

As far as a slight angle where the disc is sort of twisted, it ought to be small enough that once the pads wear a bit, full contact will be made.

Mind you, that's my laissez-faire outlook on it; no doubt due to my cavalier attitude towards imprecise machinery and my penchant for self-adjustment.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

I’d agree with the above post as long as the disk is running something like central it will be OK, bear in mind any shim you put behind the disk will increase positive camber unless you can take a similar amount from the other side.

I am a worrier so always need reassurance and peace of mind. Thanks for the comments. I dont think they are precision items and tolerances are allowed. I will check for run out and if that looks good proceed with the big swap out .