Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOT Exemption

I take my car to the same MOT station for the last 10 years. They appricate classic and historical cars so a real pleasure for.them to cast there professional eye over the vehicle once a year.

I stand corrected about the wooden chassis, it was failed because the tester thought the rocker panels had been bodged up with wood .
    Chris .

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Sorry chaps, just my personal opinion, but anyone NOT MOT-ing their vehicle is a fool. The government are looking for ways to limit “old” cars and any excuse will be jumped upon...
    Can you imagine the headline “old car mows down family” “ I don’t need to MOT it” says the owner, cue campaign by The Sun to get these “death traps” off the road.
    No matter how well you maintain your car, a second pair of eyes and that all important certificate (or similar) is imperative. Hopefully nobody on this forum is that daft. 🙄
    Simon
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    I couldn't agree more.
    Agreed: what Simon said
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Chris, no Morgan has ever had a wooden chassis...ever!
    They are steel (and now aluminium)
    Ash is used to frame the body, always has and still is to this day. Certainly not an MOT failure.
    Someone’s been telling you porkies!

Simon
    But there was one car with a wooden monocoque chassis, the Marcos. I had one. Frank Costin was the “cos”of Marcos (Jem Marsh was the “Mar) Frank Costin was involved in the design of the wooden Mosquito plane during WW2. Hence the connection. Actually a good combination. Lightweight fibreglass body and light wood chassis. 1600cc Ford cross flow produced quite a nimble car for its time.
    Dek

Yes the early Marcos cars were indeed Wood, you’d think both of them would have known better!

Thank you for the replies guys

The car was first registered on 26th March 1980 and has only had the engine changed in the last 30 years from a Rover v8 to a Ford 302 which is acceptable and is not a Q plate so I know I,m ok now

I re-taxed the car using the V112 form which was excepted but have to wait until next April for registering the car as VHI then enabling me to get free VED. This is due to how the tax year runs which I also understand

Rich
    Rich

AK427-FORD 302- Angus Racing 1.6 roller rockers, 282 Solid lifter cam, KB Pistons, Eagle forged H Beam rods, Holley 600cfm, Weiand Stealth Intake Manifold, Tremec TKO 500

I think that the MOT is a great piece of mind annual safety test so even when mine is exempt will continue to have it done. Likewise always go to a known village testing centre where there is a degree of common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxoftricks View Post
    I think that the MOT is a great piece of mind annual safety test so even when mine is exempt will continue to have it done. Likewise always go to a known village testing centre where there is a degree of common sense.
    I agree. I’m in similar circumstances and have a good sensible relationship with a local tester so will continue that even though I probably don’t have to.
    Dek

Yes the early Marcos cars were indeed Wood, you’d think both of them would have known better!
    It was quite innovative but building the monocoque chassis out of bonded marine ply was too labour intensive and costly so gave way to a steel chassis which ultimately rotted.
    Dek

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast