Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOT Exemption

MOT Exemption

Hi Guys
    My car is now 40 years old and MOT exempt so when I taxed the car I filled in a V112 mot exempt form which the lady at the post office looked at then just handed back to me.
    Would the police automatically know the car is mot exempt or could they pull me over to question me.

Rich
    Rich

AK427-FORD 302- Angus Racing 1.6 roller rockers, 282 Solid lifter cam, KB Pistons, Eagle forged H Beam rods, Holley 600cfm, Weiand Stealth Intake Manifold, Tremec TKO 500

Hi Rich,

Did you applied for historical status and send off your V5C for a new V5C? The V112 form is a declaration statement to show the post office your MOT exempt and you are signing a confirmation to all the rules when applying for road tax.

Its a lot easier to do the renewal on-line.

The 40 year MOT exemption is open to discussion with regards to the ruling "These are called ‘substantial changes’" and "is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle in the last 30 years". This states chassis and major modifications.

My point of view is to MOT the vehicle so the insurance company cannot dispute the vehicles road worthiness.It is only road worth at the time of the MOT but its also my peace of mined to get it checked over.
    My vehicle is registered as historical status 40 years with road tax exemption.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

When was your car built?

MOT is needed if "substantial changes" were made to your car within the last 30 years: https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

From DOT Guidance.

“Other ‘substantial change criteria (all vehicles)
    A vehicle is considered to have been ‘substantially changed’ if it:

has been given a ‘Q’ registration number
    is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle
    is a reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by DVLA guidance
    is a kit conversion, where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell, which changes the general appearance of the vehicle

However, if a vehicle meeting one or more of these criteria is taxed as a ‘historic vehicle’, and it has not been modified during the previous 30 years, it is exempt from needing an MOT.“

So the last sentence says that even if the vehicle is a kit car and is taxed as a “historic vehicle” as long as it hasn’t been further modified during the previous 30 years it is MOT exempt.

Dek

Sorry chaps, just my personal opinion, but anyone NOT MOT-ing their vehicle is a fool. The government are looking for ways to limit “old” cars and any excuse will be jumped upon...
    Can you imagine the headline “old car mows down family” “ I don’t need to MOT it” says the owner, cue campaign by The Sun to get these “death traps” off the road.
    No matter how well you maintain your car, a second pair of eyes and that all important certificate (or similar) is imperative. Hopefully nobody on this forum is that daft. 🙄
    Simon

Also insurance company's refusing to pay full value, saying it wasn't road worthy.

Good grief.

Just to jump in on th discussion about mot exempt vehicles,
    My cob is registered as a 75 ,pre sva and is in the "historic class" and in a few years would be in the mot exempt class.
    To date it has been mot'd with success for the last twenty five years and that I am more than happy to continue that way.
    The only thing that is bothering me is that some mot stations do not understand the older cars, an example of this is that I knew of someone in the trade who's Morgan failed on a wooden chassis!
    There also seems be things that are creeping in about Hazzard warning lights and rear reflectors, this is from my experiences, sometimes they require them, sometimes they don't !
    On my 2019 mot they put emissions probe in exhaust, this has never been carried out in the past due to it being visual only.
    I did not get around to asking the inspector why, you don't normally query things if you get a pass !
    I don't even know what levels he measured.
    The point I making is that with these types of discrepancies could put people of having an mot,
    Chris .

I would think as you don't require an MOT, if they tested things that didn't need testing and failed it. The failure MOT would list what it failed on ( which if it didn't apply to your vehicle) it wouldn't matter, as it would show everythink else passed?

Chris, no Morgan has ever had a wooden chassis...ever!
    They are steel (and now aluminium)
    Ash is used to frame the body, always has and still is to this day. Certainly not an MOT failure.
    Someone’s been telling you porkies!

Simon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast