Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Check fitment without the clutch and flywheel

Not sure about input shaft/spigot bearing diameter on a Sherpa box but the SD1 spigot is small diameter
    and LandRover has a larger spigot bearing

Could the Sherpa box have the larger input shaft and hits the smaller SD1 spigot bearing?

Yes, I installed the correct new spigot bearing into the crank to match the input shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    The spigot sits fully into the bush with the spline end up against it, meaning the first 30mm+- of spline is in the clutch plate as I assume it should be. T
    OK, is that with the bellhousing up against the engine rear face or standing off?
    If it's up against the face then why do you think your shaft is too long?
    If it's not up agains the face then why can't you put a spacer in (at least temporarily) to maintain that relationship?

What is it that makes you think your shaft is too long?

Looking at the photo's of your flywheel and clutch that looks different to the setup in mine (SD1), much bigger thicker. Is this what is causing the issue?

Just had a quick measure of the assembled spare gearbox and bellhousing I have in the garage, they have been fitted to my Sd1 engine so I know they fit,
    The shaft protrudes from the Bell housing face ( where it contacts th engine), 15.54 mm
    Smooth part of the gearbox shaft is 31.78mm
    Splined part of the shaft 65mm
    Hth
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    OK, is that with the bellhousing up against the engine rear face or standing off?
    If it's up against the face then why do you think your shaft is too long?
    If it's not up agains the face then why can't you put a spacer in (at least temporarily) to maintain that relationship?

What is it that makes you think your shaft is too long?

Looking at the photo's of your flywheel and clutch that looks different to the setup in mine (SD1), much bigger thicker. Is this what is causing the issue?
    Well, just went and rifled through some photo's and it looks like my clutch is not so different from yours as I thought. That's what you get for going from memory!

From the different dimensions I took notes of it lookslike the spigot should protrude about 15-20mm from the bell housing face with seems in line with what you have, but the spigot should be about 30 long and so push the start of the splines about 15mm behind the face. Looks like the start of the splines needs turning back but before doing that would be worth checking the tube that sits around the splines does not sit in a different position also.

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Thats interesting. The MX5 box is good, nice and smooth with half decent ratios.

Be good if you could find out some more info please?

I remember talking with a guy from RPI a couple or 3 years ago and he was telling me they were looking into a kit to mate the MX box to an RV8.
    The MX box is very slick but worth bearing in mind that even the 2.0L engine only puts out about 160BHP and not very much grunt.
    The RX8 was available in higher power outputs (but not exactly a 'grunty' motor) however and may even be the same 'box. Lots of other things seemed similar about the cars.

Anyone know the MX has a separate bell housing?

Just had a look at one and it's not, all one piece.

Photo From the net showing the input shaft differences Pilot R380 v LT77

and a photo of my own SD1 boxes
    you might just see the input shaft
    Attached Images Attached Images

I remember talking with a guy from RPI a couple or 3 years ago and he was telling me they were looking into a kit to mate the MX box to an RV8.
    The MX box is very slick but worth bearing in mind that even the 2.0L engine only puts out about 160BHP and not very much grunt.
    The RX8 was available in higher power outputs (but not exactly a 'grunty' motor) however and may even be the same 'box. Lots of other things seemed similar about the cars.

Anyone know the MX has a separate bell housing?

Just had a look at one and it's not, all one piece.
    The MX5 box can take a turbo motor in the 5 easily. They reckon up to about 250bhp and a similar torque figure. An MX5 probably weighs a bit more than a Cobra. So the box is plenty man enough.

The problem is as you say the bellhousing is not separate.

I had a 5 speed MX5 box in my 1.8 turbo engined Westfield. That was putting out 335bhp and 288ft/lb of torque, although the car only weighed 600kg. The box never complained after some serious abuse!
    Last edited by KugaWestie; 07-04-20 at 07:34 PM.
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Well, just went and rifled through some photo's and it looks like my clutch is not so different from yours as I thought. That's what you get for going from memory!

From the different dimensions I took notes of it lookslike the spigot should protrude about 15-20mm from the bell housing face with seems in line with what you have, but the spigot should be about 30 long and so push the start of the splines about 15mm behind the face. Looks like the start of the splines needs turning back but before doing that would be worth checking the tube that sits around the splines does not sit in a different position also.

Yep, that was my thoughts too. The smooth 'tube' that the input shaft runs through finishes 120mm from the body of the gearbox but i dont think that will effect the mating as it doesn't 'meet' anything.

MX5 option sounds great, but again, an expense i cant really afford. Looks like options are a) strip[ the box and machine down the current input shaft or b) sell my current set-up and purchase an alternative LT77?

Thanks all.
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

He's keeping hold of the LT77 box, until after the lock down and he's got some miles on the Mazda box. Then it can go.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast