Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    Yep, that was my thoughts too. The smooth 'tube' that the input shaft runs through finishes 120mm from the body of the gearbox but i dont think that will effect the mating as it doesn't 'meet' anything.

    MX5 option sounds great, but again, an expense i cant really afford. Looks like options are a) strip[ the box and machine down the current input shaft or b) sell my current set-up and purchase an alternative LT77?

    Thanks all.
    I'm still a bit confused though (story of my life). If the splined part of the shaft is touching the spigot bearing at a point where the bell housing has not contacted the rear of the engine (lets say the gap is 15mm) then if you fill that gap with a (slightly larger - You want some clearance) spacer why would this give an issue with the positions of the splines relative to the clutch plate as they will be as close to the spigot bearing as possible?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    My Garage
    Posts
    979
    I have a full LT77 box clutch and bell housing on the for sale section
    MKIII Pilgrim Sumo. 3.5 Litre Rover V8 Towing an Eriba Puck Caravan



  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lanarks
    Age
    63
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    If the splined part of the shaft is touching the spigot bearing
    IF.....have you actually tried mating the engine to the gearbox without the flywheel and clutch?

    A few minutes work attempting to see IF the problem is there OR IF the flywheel /clutch is the problem area.

    I presume the gearbox is an unknown - was it a Sherpa or a LandRover box with a SD1 bellhousing?

    Half the fun is solving the problem and saving a few pennies.
    How much ££ for the correct input shaft or a machine shop ££ to alter it .. versus £££

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    I'm still a bit confused though (story of my life). If the splined part of the shaft is touching the spigot bearing at a point where the bell housing has not contacted the rear of the engine (lets say the gap is 15mm) then if you fill that gap with a (slightly larger - You want some clearance) spacer why would this give an issue with the positions of the splines relative to the clutch plate as they will be as close to the spigot bearing as possible?
    Packing between bell housing and block would possibly work (I had been looking at the packers available that sit between gearbox and bell housing). Gear stick would be slightly further back than standard but I plan to have it cranked over anyway. Good call, are these types of packers available or would this be a bespoke billet jobby?
    Thanks,

    Grumbleweed

    If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lanarks
    Age
    63
    Posts
    383
    Why not try the longer Rover V8 bellhousing from a 4x4
    instead of packers

    Obviously the input shafts are matched to the short or long bellhousing.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    119
    Didn't realise that would be an option, but sounds like a great shout if that is the case?

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    Packing between bell housing and block would possibly work (I had been looking at the packers available that sit between gearbox and bell housing). Gear stick would be slightly further back than standard but I plan to have it cranked over anyway. Good call, are these types of packers available or would this be a bespoke billet jobby?
    If it were me I'd get one made but that's mainly because I've got a good friend with access to a waterjet cutter who could make one for me quite cheap (when not on lock down). May also be worth spachine between the gearbox and Bell which would probably be easier, neater, most likely cheaper and out of sight when fitted.

    The only issue I can see with doing this is that if you modify the 'box in future you will be non-standard but seems like you are looking for the cheapest way to get around your problem in the here and now.

    If your 'box is out of an LDV does it have the very short gear shift remote which fixes driect tho the selector shaft coming out of the 'box?
    If it does then your shifter pivot point will be quite a bit further forward than the standard SD1 remote (which sits about 25mm further back on an R380 than the '77) so I reckon you'd still be further forward than the standard setup even with a 20-30mm spacer.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    Why not try the longer Rover V8 bellhousing from a 4x4
    instead of packers

    Obviously the input shafts are matched to the short or long bellhousing.

    From what I've seen the long version of this shaft (4x4) is quite a bit longer may be wrong though.

    Personally I'd like to understand why this is nearly but not quite right. Maybe this is just a specific version of the 'box or could be that someone has bodged it, in which case there could be other gotchas down the line (like no gears in the box). Would be a shame to put a lot of effort into getting this 'box to fit only to find it doesn't work.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    From what I've seen the long version of this shaft (4x4) is quite a bit longer may be wrong though.

    Personally I'd like to understand why this is nearly but not quite right. Maybe this is just a specific version of the 'box or could be that someone has bodged it, in which case there could be other gotchas down the line (like no gears in the box). Would be a shame to put a lot of effort into getting this 'box to fit only to find it doesn't work.
    Yes, packer between gearbox and bell housing certainly seemed the neater option to me but this takes me back to the original issue and would effectively move the splines back and out of the clutch plate. I have the correct SD1 remote to the rear of the box. I think we have determined that the nearly bit not quite is the slight difference in spigot/spline length, all else on the box seems good.
    Thanks,

    Grumbleweed

    If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    Yes, packer between gearbox and bell housing certainly seemed the neater option to me but this takes me back to the original issue and would effectively move the splines back and out of the clutch plate. I have the correct SD1 remote to the rear of the box. I think we have determined that the nearly bit not quite is the slight difference in spigot/spline length, all else on the box seems good.

    Why is it going to move the splines out of the clutch plate? I thought we'd established that due to your shaft being too long you can't get the bell housing to contact the rear engine face. The spacer is only going to "take up the gap" that position of the gearbox relative to the engine should not change.
    If there is no gap and you can mate the bell housing up to the engine face then why is there a problem? I guess I'm not understanding something here. A picture of the actual problem would help.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •