Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post

Looking at the photo's of your flywheel and clutch that looks different to the setup in mine (SD1), much bigger thicker. Is this what is causing the issue?
    GD could be on to something with the clutch

Your clutch cover looks a bit thicker than what I fitted.

Once again....a trial fit of the gearbox without the clutch would let you know

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    GD could be on to something with the clutch

Your clutch cover looks a bit thicker than what I fitted.

Once again....a trial fit of the gearbox without the clutch would let you know

I did retract that in a later post after finding a photo, my clutch/flywheel does not look so different. However I do agree that taking them out of the mix for now is a good idea, I’d be looking at getting the box mounted to the engine just using washers as spacers for now that way it will be possible to see where the shaft and it’s splines are relative to the end of the crank, then see what happens when the other bits are attached.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    I did retract that in a later post after finding a photo, my clutch/flywheel does not look so different. However I do agree that taking them out of the mix for now is a good idea, I’d be looking at getting the box mounted to the engine just using washers as spacers for now that way it will be possible to see where the shaft and it’s splines are relative to the end of the crank, then see what happens when the other bits are attached.
    I’ll try the above but pretty sure I’m not even close to clashing with the clutch set up. Does anyone know the difference in length between the 2wd and 4wd bellhousings? I thought it was quite a bit?

Really appreciate everyone’s input/time on this.
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

Are you sure you dont have an R380 'O' series or Pug diesel box with a V8 bellhousing fitted ?

Whats the gearbox number ? Should start 35A or 37A for Sherpa V8.

Quote Originally Posted by russell_ram2 View Post
    Are you sure you dont have an R380 'O' series or Pug diesel box with a V8 bellhousing fitted ?

Whats the gearbox number ? Should start 35A or 37A for Sherpa V8.
    It’s a 38A LDV gearbox
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

Bad news then - 38A codes are Leyland Daf XUD9 gearboxes - completely different input shaft to V8. That'll be why it doesn't fit . .

Bad news then - 38A codes are Leyland Daf XUD9 gearboxes - completely different input shaft to V8. That'll be why it doesn't fit . .
    Yes, I think we know why it isn’t a straight fit, I’m trying to find a solution to make it fit. I’ve knocked up a template for a 15mm packer between the bell housing and block, this should sort it. Thanks.
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

Sorry, my reading of the thread was that you didn't understand why it doesn't fit - Peugeot and O series LDV/Sherpa units are not a straight fit to a V8 engine; as you've discovered - the input pinion is longer. (but nowhere near as long as a 4WD V8 one, so that bell housing isn't a solution either)

You could always rebuild it as a V8 box - you'll 'only' need FTC5058 input pinion, FTC4986 layshaft, FTC5036 1st gear mainshaft, FTC5039 2nd main and FTC4976 5th lay - everything else common with what you have inside your diesel box. You'll then have an MG/TVR/Morgan V8 2WD box which will fit perfectly and also have the correct ratios.

Sorry, my reading of the thread was that you didn't understand why it doesn't fit - Peugeot and O series LDV/Sherpa units are not a straight fit to a V8 engine; as you've discovered - the input pinion is longer. (but nowhere near as long as a 4WD V8 one, so that bell housing isn't a solution either)

You could always rebuild it as a V8 box - you'll 'only' need FTC5058 input pinion, FTC4986 layshaft, FTC5036 1st gear mainshaft, FTC5039 2nd main and FTC4976 5th lay - everything else common with what you have inside your diesel box. You'll then have an MG/TVR/Morgan V8 2WD box which will fit perfectly and also have the correct ratios.
    That’s really useful thanks, another good, long term option to look into, cheers Russell.
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

Feels like you have two shorter term choices:
    1. Machine the current input shaft to shorten it
    2. Fit a spacer between the engine and bellhousing

Downside of the latter if you ever change to the above/replace the box with a standard V8 one that your gearlever will be different/slightly out of place and your prop will be shorter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast