Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigblock View Post
    anyone can lay down a shiny coat of paint
    *thinks of his own previous rattle-can attempts*
    I beg to differ, David..

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    Now to get those stripes on....
    I say blue - darker blue.. this is probably covered elsewhere and I've missed/forgotten but, what kind of paint are you spraying? Water-based, 1K, 2K?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

2k base and clear

I was looking at brushed aluminium wrap for the stripes
    It can come in 2 shades of blue as well a the silver

Sent for some samples

The 3m wrap film series 2080 in brushed aluminium looks great. The 2080 is 8 years guarantee or 1080 is 6 years guarantee.

https://www.3mvinylsupplies.co.uk/3m...7935&id=806770

This is a good youtube example of fitting a small section of a motor bike petrol tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_EmVO9q1y8
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    2k base and clear

I was looking at brushed aluminium wrap for the stripes
    It can come in 2 shades of blue as well a the silver

Sent for some samples
    Brushed Ali sounds good - I was thinking that for the stone guards.

I thought 2K required all manner of complicated PPE so you don't gas yourself? I guess less of an issue outdoors (I imagine my neighbours would be less pleased though!)..
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post

I thought 2K required all manner of complicated PPE ..
    less of an issue outdoors
    I have a decent mask and sprayed just this car......doesn't take long to actually spray it.
    It took me a few months to prepare the panels

Last edited by drammyboy; 20-05-20 at 06:43 PM.

[QUOTE=aaronjb;596958]*thinks of his own previous rattle-can attempts*
    I beg to differ, David..

I could get you to put a blingy coat of paint on inside 2-3 days ;-0
    Its the constant blocking and checking, then guide coat for the umpteen time you might get bored with, aint no short cuts I'm afraid, and the YouTube vids all you chaps watch, well I saw a couple of cars up close once from them experts, I can piss a straighter line. You will be fine, trust me

Brushed Ali sounds good - I was thinking that for the stone guards.

I thought 2K required all manner of complicated PPE so you don't gas yourself? I guess less of an issue outdoors (I imagine my neighbours would be less pleased though!)..
    Its not that bad that everyone makes out, you can get an air fed mask fairly cheaply now, if you compressor cant cope with a mask then spend a few extra quid and get one if you were buying one anyway to do the job.
    you only need a set of disposable paper overalls, really cheap, £5-6 each, they will take a wash a few times, I used the washed ones just for primers etc but have a nice expensive pair for finishing, had them 3-4 years now.
    Neighbours wont be bothered by it, by the time any dust/vapour gets out side it will be whisked up and away, I try and paint on damp or raining days if possible, cuts down airborne contaminants, think of the older water curtain spray chambers, fluff pollen and bugs, always paint with a wet floor, most the overspray ends up there. Disposable glove, ffs £5 a box, treat yourself and your girlfriend and buy 2 boxes and have a bit of fun with the left over ones.

Now you are sorted, get on and finish it, as you have a reprieve, kit car show 2021, you have enough time now.
    So what colour Aaron ?

I actually have a little painting project in mind before the Cobra - the lacquer is peeling on the BMW around the headlamp washer jets (they all seem to go there).. if I could just figure out what colour I need (the colour code tag seems to have gone AWOL between 2006 and now, and the dealers have been largely unavailable until recently due to you-know-what) And then I have a spare bonnet I can prep and play with.. don't fancy a trip oop norf for some training, do you, David? (Again, maybe once you-know-what has died down!)

I originally thought of black, but I know shiny black is a bugger to get right.. so was considering the Essex Wire colours (white car, black stripes, black "brightwork").

I have two compressors (one twin cylinder 100L and one single cylinder 25L), so an air-fed mask isn't a big problem.. don't know for sure the 100L twin would keep up with spraying as I haven't tried yet
    My DeDion build diary..

Aaron, the painting is the easy final stage, I've sprayed 5 cars in the past, at first it was great, to see the transition from bare steel to top coat but the prep for me after the 4th car became soul destroying. 90% is prep. 10% finish.
    Some people love it, some hate it, most people sometimes wish they never started it........
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Trouble is, Eggbert lives in Nova Scotia - there's no sun that far north
    Nova Scotia is further south than the UK.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast