Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question In tank Fuel Pump ?

any one fitted an in tank fuel pump for EFI?

If so, what have you fitted and where did you source it from?

Cheers
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by glip View Post
    any one fitted an in tank fuel pump for EFI?

If so, what have you fitted and where did you source it from?

Cheers
    Geoff
    I’ve recently fitted a pump into my tank but it’s only a lift pump (low pressure) which feeds into a swirl pot, the HP pump is external.

I’d strongly suggest having a swirl pot for EFI, in or out of the tank.
    Last edited by GDCobra; 07-05-20 at 08:32 PM.

I’ll second the swirl pot!

Jim

Hi Geoff,

Assuming this is for your Pro Flo 4 installation? I'm thinking of the same too on my Dax.

Problem I could think of with regard to the in-tank pump is that it would not be able to pick up the low level fuel from the bottom of the Dax tank as it is in a seperate pocket at the bottom (like a mini sump). Benefit would be packaging - no pre filter and no pump to mount underneath.

Also thought about a swirl pot but again - where to mount and not 100% convinced I would get the benefit for a car that is seeing 100% road use. I get the benefits for a car that sees some track use though.

Be interested to see how you get on.

Sean
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

Great! Following my post above, I've now been reading up on swirl pots and convinced myself I need one too.

Where to mount though? I see some people have mounted in engine bay where there is plenty of room - could feed from mechanical pump if mounted up front. What swirl pots have you used? Pump in swirl pot a good option?

Sorry to hijack your thread Geoff but I'm sure you'll benefit from responses too.

Sean
    Too many idiots, not enough villages!

Sean - no worries.

yes, I looked at the pro-flo 4 earlier in the year, but other things got in the way so never took it any further. Looking again as I've decided I do want to upgrade to EFI.

I initially thought this would be an easy option - https://www.edelbrock.com/adjustable...psi-36032.html.
    But it still requires a return line to the tank (plus it's not exactly good looking!) - so then thought about the swirl pot option, which would require space for a swirl pot, second pump, regulator and return line (as well as my existing pump - as does the edelbrock fuel tank sump above).
    Which is why I got to thinking about an in tank pump - so no return line and no pump/pumps/swirl pot/regulator in sight. my current Carter pump is in the boot - so this would free up some space in there, which would be an added bonus. Though as you say above, not sure that the horizontal Dax tank would work well with an in tank pump. My current tank is 20+ years old, so I wouldn't hesitate to swap that to something that was baffled sufficiently to work with an in tank pump - if it was possible.

Need to investigate further - though the fact that no one has gone the in tank route makes me wonder if it's the wrong option?

Cheers
    Geoff

I fitted an old one from a BMW complete with swirl pot. I think it was from a V8 but cant remember any more details. Been in for over 10 years and never had any problems. Bonus was it had it's own swirl pot.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Geoff
    i have brand new efi I don’t need this pm me ok

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    I fitted an old one from a BMW complete with swirl pot. I think it was from a V8 but cant remember any more details. Been in for over 10 years and never had any problems. Bonus was it had it's own swirl pot.
    Was thinking last night I'm sure I've seen units with pump combined with swirl pot (and possibly gauge sender) in tank. You beat me to it. Guess it depends on the geometry of the tank though.

Back in the day, when everything around here was still fields, I think I was one of the first to use swirl pots in the tank to keep expensive external pumps from burning up when fuel surges caused a lack of fuel at the pick up in the tank.

I always use an OEM in tank swirl pot and pump combo as it will come with a nifty mounting plate and OEM gasket that you can fit on the top of your tank which shouldn't leak.

At least the BMW and Lexus ones didn't.

Its likely that the pump mounting bracket inside the in-tank swirl pot will need adapting as Cobra tanks are rather shallow in the main, but its nothing a hacksaw and a bit of new/ or shortened in tank pipe won't solve. If you are running a return line get the return feed to drop into the swirl pot, a bulkhead fitting through the access/ mounting plate would do the job, so even with an almost empty tank there's more chance of fuel being close to the pump pickup.

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast