Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PITA didn't so much as crack, as just decided it didn't want to be a car part any more an fell apart. As you said must have been a dodgy casting way back when. Local welding shop, good old fashioned one tucked away in an old factory, just down the road from me and looks like it's open Monday. Used them before to weld up my engine mounts after I'd made them, a good no bull workshop that still understand cash with no paperwork. Back on track soon just need to get the new bearings, Al, you out there?

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Probably just as cheap to get an old unit from the local scrappy.

The bearings are:
    Original are koyo 689ru and 61801ru.

I bought replacements from simply bearings. Plenty of choice but I opted for

689-2rs-mb
    61801-2rs-cdx

These were middle price range sealed bearings. I think the pair cost around £9. One thing I've noticed is that it's the larger, front bearing that appears to go. Both units I've refurbed have pretty rough rolling larger bearings although the price of the smaller one you'd just do the pair.

Thanks for that, bearings ordered.

Is there still such a thing as the "local scrappy"? I remember climbing over piles of old cars with a bag of spanners when I first had a car but everything now days seems to be we'll come and take it away for you (and sell it to the Chinese). Not seen a "proper" scrap car yard for a long time and have never found one local since I've lived here (High Wycombe). I do remember something about health and safety getting the arse a few years back as it was just too dangerous to let the public anywhere near a car that wasn't fit to drive.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Graham,

I have the IAC from a 1992 1UZ-FE that I am not planning to use. Can't vouch for the condition as I have never used it, let me know if you arer interested.

Take care,
    Ian
    Pilgrim Sumo Mk3; IVA Apr. 2014; RV8 3.9 EFi ; Cosworth T5; Granada Donor
    Phase Two underway - Conversion to Japanese

Yes local scrappies are around. I found one close to me by just googling. I think we've all moved to finding everything on fleabay as first port of call . The 1992 one that's on offer from Ian may be the repairable style which just comes apart with a few screws.

Lot scrap yards are a lot better organised now and they take parts off, mark them and shelve them. Used to enjoy going down the scrap yard when I got my first car for bits. Yes the used to be stacked two high and wobbling about some times.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

I remember doing the same. Probably stopped i it due to Health & Safety and public liability insurance premiums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12