two red ignition lights?

I have a pilgrim sumo which i purchased knowing it needed a lot of tlc and had very little build history etc so its been fun unscrambling the litany of problems - its now up and running so just trying to understand how some of the dash warning lights have been wired up etc. The car has a rover v8 SD1 engine and there appears to be two red ignition lights on the dash which illuminate when the ignition is turned on and go out once the engine is started - my question is why does it have two lights is it one for each side of the v8?
    My understanding is that these lights also indicate the alternator is working correctly and will only come back on if this is not the case or the amount of juice it providing to the battery is below a certain level e.g. at very low revs - is this correct? The dash has a oil pressure gauge which sits happily above 30 psi or above so I am assuming the red lights have no connection to the oil pressure? Any audience would be appreciated.
    The dash also has a amber/yellow warning which is connected but does not seem to do anything - again any guidance much appreciated - thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look down at the oil pump.....does it have a spade connection?
    Pull off this wire.......does one light go out?

If so.....then its colour should be changed to an amber light

Ignition - 1 light
    Oil - 1 light

will do and report back thanks

yup - one is probably oil pressure, the other is likely a charge light from the alternator.
    They'll need labelling if you need to go through IVA

The easiest way to work out whats going on is to pull out the dash and check the wiring - the colour coding should give a clue if you have a Pilgrim wiring loom - the circuit diagram is available online.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

re your alternator question. The dash light is part of a ignition live feed to the alternator which is connected to the L terminal on the alternator normally. It needs this 12v+ feed to cause the alternator to charge. Once its charging, the current can no longer flow so the light goes out.

Your other light could be a low brake fluid warning light, required for IVA. Try taking off the brake reservoir car with the wire still attached to simulate a low fluid situation, see if the light comes on. Does it come on with the "on/off" switch next to it?
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

The sd1 car had the orange/yellow light in adaption to oil pressure gauge ,
    It was ther to indicate oil pressure below I think about 9 psi .
    Chris.

thanks you were spot on - took spade connector off light goes out - so now know one is for the ignition/alternator and the other for oil pressure which i will change for a yellow - thanks - just got to investigate the single yellow below them now!

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    Look down at the oil pump.....does it have a spade connection?
    Pull off this wire.......does one light go out?

If so.....then its colour should be changed to an amber light

Ignition - 1 light
    Oil - 1 light

thanks all for your help turns out the previous owner had connected the rear fog light to the yellow and the oil pressure to the red hence the confusion now sorted so cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    The sd1 car had the orange/yellow light in adaption to oil pressure gauge ,
    It was ther to indicate oil pressure below I think about 9 psi .
    Chris.
    Should have read in "addition "to the oil pressure gauge.

My other yellow is oil level.