Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Doesn't really add to the selling points when the advert tells you to go to Youtube and watch cobra crash videos!
    Steve Brown

CRC Regional Rep - East Anglia

Steve .Its not great marketing to show car crashes when trying to sell a car.

Having the vehicle as a Daimlar on the V5c is a problem. MOT exempt o.k down to if you dont want to take it to be tested. If your stopped by the police there might be a difficult conversation.

Long list of parts bin cars.... original Cobra’s were the same!

I particularly enjoyed it when a friend found out that badly hidden underneath the rubber covering on the key to his stunning Aston 4.3 vantage was the key to a Volvo saloon.

I would think that if it is not right on the V5 then any insurance is not valid? Is that not the case?? You can imagine the conversation if you hit someone and there was a big payout needed. Having said that I know of one cobra recently that was incorrectly registered and sold for good money at an auction even though the auctioneer made it very clear at the start of bidding.

Chris,

Very valid point. Do you insure it as a Daimler or a Cobra? Do the insurance check the registration with DVLA record. You would be commenting fraud by insuring it as a Daimler and not a cobra and its an easy get out for any insurance payment.
    When the insurance company quote for a vehicle they have a value in mind unless you insure it for a fixed value.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

My wife (who is ex police) reckons if you make it clear it’s a cobra when you insure it then the insurance is valid. If you insure as a Daimler then it definitely isn’t. However, if you get checked by the police when following you are highly likely to be stopped (unless they think it’s a Daimler Dart!!) and as some have already said an awkward conversation follows. My concern would be in the event of a claim. Many companies look for every excuse not to pay. Having said that, similar issues must apply to body kit conversions.
    Bottom line though is that it is not 100% legal as it has neither been exempted nor passed an IVA

I wouldn’t want to buy one incorrectly registered but I guess it’s what the dvla did at the time. There’s no shortage of these apparently incorrectly cars.
    “If you put lipstick on a pig-it’s still a pig” springs to mind.
    Dek.

I hope mines is ok ,
    It is registered on the log book as a Southern Road craft V8,
    Not Cobra !
    Chris.

The Cobra kit was completed in 1985. That was before SVA (and IVA) and before DVLA implemented procedures to improve the registration of kit cars. DVLA would have registered to the rules at the time it was put on the road. Try registering it today with the same V5 details then you would have a whole can of problems.

When the MOTs went 'digital' quite a few years back then I think the MOT centres tidied up some of the V5 data. It's had an MOT in 2018 so it appears there is no issues around getting an MOT completed. As a kit or 'heavily modified' car I understand it would still need to have an annual MOT and is not exempt.

I guess many people live in houses that don't meet the current building regs for electrics, insulation etc. Many I dare say would consider buying a house which maybe didn't comply with latest building regs too. I can't say I see a difference. Good luck to the seller. Someone will get a lot of Cobra fun for their money.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

That was before sva .
    I have the cert from the dvla at the Chelmsford.
    The man from dvla inspected my car and a couple of weeks later the cert arrived,
    This gave me writen conformation for the vehicle to be taxed ,insured and needed to be mot'ed.
    It was a bit easier back then .
    Chris.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast