Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I would like to think that the majority who own these type of vehicles,
    ether bought or built them in good faith.
    Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ-Notts View Post
    The Cobra kit was completed in 1985. That was before SVA (and IVA) and before DVLA implemented procedures to improve the registration of kit cars. DVLA would have registered to the rules at the time it was put on the road. Try registering it today with the same V5 details then you would have a whole can of problems.

When the MOTs went 'digital' quite a few years back then I think the MOT centres tidied up some of the V5 data. It's had an MOT in 2018 so it appears there is no issues around getting an MOT completed. As a kit or 'heavily modified' car I understand it would still need to have an annual MOT and is not exempt.

I guess many people live in houses that don't meet the current building regs for electrics, insulation etc. Many I dare say would consider buying a house which maybe didn't comply with latest building regs too. I can't say I see a difference. Good luck to the seller. Someone will get a lot of Cobra fun for their money.

Russ.
    Having built my car in the 80’s and used the Jaguar XJ6 logbook myself, I can tell you how I see it/ remember it! In short, that was not a bona fide approach. There was no process, you just ‘cloned’ the car using the donor log book. If you were lucky you could get amendments to the log book but that usually meant engine number and colour. That’s why SVA was brought in. There was an amnesty for all those with incorrectly registered cars to get them correctly registered in the late 90’s. If I remember correctly you needed a valid MOT and a trip to the local DVLA. I missed it due to a house build ongoing, and later went to a lot of trouble to get mine correctly registered. There was plenty of publicity and not really an excuse for not complying. However you look at this it is not a properly registered car. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a jobsworth and happy to take plenty of risks. However, I would be concerned with the validity/likely approach of insurance if you had a problem. I’d also be miffed if I didn’t need to get mine registered properly!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ-Notts View Post
    The Cobra kit was completed in 1985. That was before SVA (and IVA) and before DVLA implemented procedures to improve the registration of kit cars. DVLA would have registered to the rules at the time it was put on the road. Try registering it today with the same V5 details then you would have a whole can of problems.

When the MOTs went 'digital' quite a few years back then I think the MOT centres tidied up some of the V5 data. It's had an MOT in 2018 so it appears there is no issues around getting an MOT completed. As a kit or 'heavily modified' car I understand it would still need to have an annual MOT and is not exempt.

I guess many people live in houses that don't meet the current building regs for electrics, insulation etc. Many I dare say would consider buying a house which maybe didn't comply with latest building regs too. I can't say I see a difference. Good luck to the seller. Someone will get a lot of Cobra fun for their money.

Russ.
    I think you’ve summed it up very well Russ. It was what was commonly done in the day. It doesn’t make it illegal now unless as stated before an attempt is made to deceive the insurance company. Being stopped by the police may be a bit of a nuisance but no crime has been committed. The only thing you said that probably is incorrect is regarding the mot. If it’s taxed as an historic vehicle even if it’s a kit car it does not require an mot. Yes we’ve had the debate many times about whether you should but legally you don’t need to. From the dvla website:

Other ‘substantial change’ criteria (all vehicles)
    A vehicle is considered to have been ‘substantially changed’ if it:

has been given a ‘Q’ registration number
    is a kit car assembled from components from different makes and model of vehicle
    is a reconstructed classic vehicle as defined by DVLA guidance
    is a kit conversion, where a kit of new parts is added to an existing vehicle, or old parts are added to a kit of a manufactured body, chassis or monocoque bodyshell, which changes the general appearance of the vehicle

However, if a vehicle meeting one or more of these criteria is taxed as a ‘historic vehicle’, and it has not been modified during the previous 30 years, it is exempt from needing an MOT.

It’s the last sentence that tends to get overlooked.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    may be a bit of a nuisance .........
    Dek
    .......to any new owner

when the MOT tester who looks at his screen and sees what ???
    Does the car presented for the new computerised MOT resemble what is in front of him.

Don't see the point of the post unless it was to highlight this issue

It appears it IS an offence under the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 Section 43c (bloody hell, I sound like a lawyer). http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/section/43C It also appears (under this same clause) that if you make a reasonable attempt to correct the details that act is an acceptable defence. So in this situation it might be worth sending a letter to DVLA asking them to update details and keep a copy. That would at least avoid a 'level 3' fine which apparently is £1,000. I'm still not convinced what would happen with insurance in the event of a major claim. As said earlier though in this thread, you would have to make sure insurance is for a cobra. If you do those two things, it seems it should be fine. So why are we all bothering with the IVA?????????? (joking!)
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by drammyboy View Post
    .......to any new owner

when the MOT tester who looks at his screen and sees what ???
    Does the car presented for the new computerised MOT resemble what is in front of him.

Don't see the point of the post unless it was to highlight this issue
    The point of the post was to support Russ’s understanding of how this all came about and that it must be quite a common problem emanating from that time with all kit cars, not just Cobras. Being a bit of a nuisance related to being stopped by the police not at MOT time as you misconstrued. The other point of the post was to point out that kit cars registered as historic vehicles can qualify as MOT exempt.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    It appears it IS an offence under the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 Section 43c (bloody hell, I sound like a lawyer). http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1994/22/section/43C It also appears (under this same clause) that if you make a reasonable attempt to correct the details that act is an acceptable defence. So in this situation it might be worth sending a letter to DVLA asking them to update details and keep a copy. That would at least avoid a 'level 3' fine which apparently is £1,000. I'm still not convinced what would happen with insurance in the event of a major claim. As said earlier though in this thread, you would have to make sure insurance is for a cobra. If you do those two things, it seems it should be fine. So why are we all bothering with the IVA?????????? (joking!)
    Like! Like!
    Dek

For the avoidance of doubt mine is correctly registered as a Cobretti Viper.
    Dek

I have just rechecked my insurance policy as it was only renewed a few days ago and it is the same on the that as it is on the log book thank goodness,
    Southern roadcraft v8 .
    All this does make you think !
    Chris.

"Southern Roadcraft V8" is fine; mine (built pre-IVA/SVA) is "Pilgrim Sumo Mk3". When we say registered as a Cobra it's shorthand for whatever kit it actually is, rather than the donor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast