4 position rotary switch

I have been looking for a 4 position switch to go with the original style fan knob, but I could only find 3 position with the hex shaft, so.....

I bought one of these off ebay:

As you can see its a "D" shaft. I then made a CAD model of a hex shaft adaptor:

Then I printed it with a resin 3D printer:

This part is less than 0.1mm thick in certain places so I think you could only print it with a resin printer.

bonded it to the switch to get this:

And now I have this!

If anyone wants one let me know, it all takes some fettling and messing but it seems to work well. There is also a grub screw in the hole in the hex shaft to lock the knob onto the shaft.
    Last edited by JamesB; 23-05-20 at 03:29 PM.

Very nice. A lot of effort for a small part. I've been there so many times! LOL. But nothing to do with CAD or 3D printing. I'm very impressed.

By the way, for next time anyone needs a rotary switch, Grayhill has a lot to choose from. Find the one you want, and then order it through a supplier.

http://www.grayhill.com/products/rotary-switches/
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Was a bit of a faff but not as difficult as it might seem. If anyone wants one of these I will make a unit and send it to you, I would not recommend anyone just having the 3d printed part. These will fit Ashley Hinton's switch knobs perfectly.