Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: EFI question

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cowbridge, United Kingdom
    Age
    62
    Posts
    10,019
    I have the FITech system on the Mustang 289.
    With the air cleaner on top of it you would never know it wasn't a normal carb.
    Can't see why it wouldn't fit inside a turkey pan.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northampton
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,217
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    and a few more mpg on the FE would be nice.
    9mpg instead of 8mpg?
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Reading, Berks, UK.
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    I found out that you can fit the FITech inside a turkey pan, so it would be nicely disguised.
    But no, not any time son...gotta sort out paint first. But interesting to have a little think about. Been talking to a chap on here (Neville) who has fitted one to his RV8. Seems to do what it says on the tin, and a few more mpg on the FE would be nice.
    I have a Holly Terminator FI complete system and pump sitting ready to be fitted, been sat for 3 years now, must get around to fitting it.
    With this all you need is a tapping into the tank for the return, some say it should be a submerged return so as to not foam up the fuel, but lots of classic owners in the USA just fit a stabbing onto the fuel filler steel pipe and plumb the return into there. With the 460ci I don't think my fuel hangs around long enough to worry the engine. They do suggest with this set up the tank is a vented tank.

    Ciao

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigblock View Post
    ... some say it should be a submerged return so as to not foam up the fuel, but lots of classic owners in the USA just fit a stabbing onto the fuel filler steel pipe and plumb the return into there.

    Ciao
    Bear in mind the harder you drive it the less chance there will be that any fuel will find its way back to the tank

    Mine returns to the swirl pot (which you should also have for EFi - No reserve like a float chamber built into the system) and is not submerged, never been a problem. Have considered returning to the fuel tank (which would also be better for cooling the fuel which has been around the engine bay) but this would mean that the lift pump would need to have the same or greater flow than the HP pump and as I'm not sure it does I decided not to bother.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Reading, Berks, UK.
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    Bear in mind the harder you drive it the less chance there will be that any fuel will find its way back to the tank

    Mine returns to the swirl pot (which you should also have for EFi - No reserve like a float chamber built into the system) and is not submerged, never been a problem. Have considered returning to the fuel tank (which would also be better for cooling the fuel which has been around the engine bay) but this would mean that the lift pump would need to have the same or greater flow than the HP pump and as I'm not sure it does I decided not to bother.
    The Holly system negates the need for a swirl pot, I did question them on this, got the kit with the match pump, regulator and all the bits.
    Just have to get time to fit it really. They do the non return kit as well, but did say that the return system is better for many reasons, inc the fact the fuel gets cooled.

    Just need the time to fit, just been busy with too many other projects
    Last edited by Bigblock; 29-05-20 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Finchampstead, Berkshire, UK.
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,702
    You don’t really need the swirl pot for EFI.

    My LS is returnless in normal configuration, the rail is deadheaded. The EFI pump will deliver more fuel than can be injected at WOT so no need for the equivalent of a float chamber.

    I run an aftermarket regulator in the boot that does have a return to the tank (but it’s not really the same thing as returning excess fuel from the rail to the tank). I ran like that for a couple of years before fitting a swirl pot, only reason was when my tank is low and I’m joining round a sweeping left hander on a track day the fuel pickup pipe gets exposed - swirl pot solves that issue.

    Cheers

    Jim
    Last edited by Happy Jim; 29-05-20 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Missed a critical “don’t” from the first line

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    .........Been talking to a chap on here (Neville) who has fitted one to his RV8. Seems to do what it says on the tin, and a few more mpg on the FE would be nice.
    I spent quite a bit of time (and money) to fit an EFI to my 515ci crate motor. The plan was to fit twin turbos which is why I went the EFI route replacing the four barrel Holley. Although my EFI had individual throttle bodies so not identical to the system you are looking at, the one thing I did notice was that there was no difference in mpg over the original carb setup which was surprising. I never did fit the turbos so the only noticeable improvement the EFI really gave me was a reliable hot start. It is quite embarrassing when you have a small crowd of people in a petrol station waiting to hear your car start up after refuelling and the best you can do is crank it over half a dozen times until the battery dies and then ask for a push !
    Attached Images Attached Images

    CONTEMPORARY CCX3-3741

    FORD RACING DIVISION 515ci
    JERICO WC4 (Sold)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cGUj87r9bY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •