Thread: Starter motor !

Starter motor !

Hi All
    only a year old the starter on my Chevy it’s suddenly slowed up and doesn’t seem to crank very well. Some one has suggested its heat as it’s close to the headers. It’s a GD

is it a new one and what’s the best way to protect it

thanks

a heat shielding blanket?

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/cool-it...0c900e3c433afc
    you could rustle up your own with some material held on with wire clips or make out of alloy between headers and starter?
    neil

If the headers are very close to the starter. Especially with underslung exhausts. The wrap round material will reduce the heat soak. If this occurs only when it is hot then it is a heat soak.
    I slow crank issue and went through all the checks and in the end installed a thicker battery cable and replaced the starter motor for a mini hi-torque which resolved the issue.
    If you are getting cold crank issues as well you have another issues e.g. poor earth, cable issues,battery. Simple check engine to chassis straps are tight and clean.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Assuming it cranks ok when cold, it’s likely heat soak. Some of us on here have mounted the starter motor with the solenoid at the bottom so it’s away from the headers. It’s worked so far for my setup.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Howoodie View Post
    Hi All
    only a year old the starter on my Chevy it’s suddenly slowed up and doesn’t seem to crank very well.
    Do you mean it's been working fine for a year, and now has slowed down? Makes me think that if it wasn't affected by heat before, why the sudden change.

You might want to check your battery and battery cable connections first. Might be a simple thing. Bad ground, etc.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Yes it’s been fine for a year. It has recently slowed down although today it was fine. So I’ll just have to monitor it

You know, even a loose fan belt can cause a low battery resulting in slow cranking (and depending on the drive, sometimes it would charge and cranking would be OK). I would definitely look at all other alternatives before I set my sights on a solution regarding over-heating.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Have you tried just jumping it with a good set of leads from a known good power supply from a nother vehicle when this occurs,
    If the cranking speed increases, you can then eliminate the starter and look elsewhere.
    Good luck,
    Chris

When people get the heat soak issue, is it the starter or the solenoid that suffers?