Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cockit heat

Cockit heat

Hi Chaps,

I'm getting a lot of heat into the cockpit, much of which is coming in via the heater. I took over this Classic Replicas Viper 80% complete with the heater already installed. There are no heater controls inside the car, and I can see no way of controlling it from the outside of the heater box. There is a "Galaxy" label on the top of the heater which is new to me. Google and the Viper build manual are no help. The build manual mentions a Mini heater and has two pictures, one of which looks like a Mini heater and another which definitely isn't.

I'll fit an external tap between one of the hoses and the box if that's the only way. Anyone got any other ideas ?

Many thanks,

Brian.

I think most people fit a valve into the heater hoses as you suggested - you have to be careful of your engine coolant circuit though; some have a bypass (and therefore you can just block one hose with a 'tap') while others need the heater circuit to circulate coolant all the time or you starve an area of the engine of flowing coolant - for those I think you can get a coolant 'tap' that has a bypass in it (so either flows through the heater or straight between the hoses depending on position).
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Can you not block off the vents from the heater outlet?
    Make sure you haven't got the heater fan on inadvertently.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Thanks, Aaron, hadn't thought of that. I've not come across that heater arrangement. The engine is a 350 Chevy and the heater pipes leave and return to the front of the engine at or very near the water pump housing, so should be ok. I will block off the vents as Kevin suggests as a temporary fix until I can fit a valve.

Thanks,

Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by braincol View Post
    Thanks, Aaron, hadn't thought of that. I've not come across that heater arrangement. The engine is a 350 Chevy and the heater pipes leave and return to the front of the engine at or very near the water pump housing, so should be ok. I will block off the vents as Kevin suggests as a temporary fix until I can fit a valve.

Thanks,

Brian.
    If you want a valve, I've got one like this, unused - haven't needed it.
    https://www.europaspares.com/mechani...alve-16mm.html

Make me a reasonable offer and its yours.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Quote Originally Posted by braincol View Post

Thanks,

Brian.
    It can happen as I found out when I accendently turned off my heater and the car kept boiling over till I worked out what had happened.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    It can happen as I found out when I accendently turned off my heater and the car kept boiling over till I worked out what had happened.
    Yeah - I'd have been more specific about engines that applies to ... if I could have remembered evidently the Ford Windsor is on the list! I'm not actually sure about the FE, though since Kevin has a simple dead-stop valve, I assume not.

Maybe I was also thinking of the RV8? So many obscure facts, so little memory space left...
    My DeDion build diary..

With an FE, your feet will never be cold.... rain, shine or snow
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Yeah, I wasn't actually planning on having a valve at all - and the little tiny T7 heater won't be putting out much heat I imagine. There'll be no forgetting the fan is on though, it sounds like a Dyson is stuck in the footwell!
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't actually planning on having a valve at all - and the little tiny T7 heater won't be putting out much heat I imagine. There'll be no forgetting the fan is on though, it sounds like a Dyson is stuck in the footwell!
    If I was ding it all again I would have gone with a heated windscreen.
    The T7 is really just to keep the IVA man happy - doubt I will ever use it again for open top driving, but when the hardtop goes on, we'll see what its capabilities are like!
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast