Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Yup I also noticed the OP saying that lifting the bonnet made his eyes water.
    That doesn't sound right to me. My big ol' FE might stink a bit at the sidpeipe exit, but you cant smell anything when I lift thee bonnet, or not that I've noticed.
    Are Chevy's usually like this?
    Where is this going - a 'Fords smell better than Chevy's' contest!!!!! That's funny!! I am going to go for the Fords obviously!
    Could be a build up of fumes on tickover under the bonnet if the manifold is leaking? But if it is fuel then it does need sorting pronto. Carb check over needed. I guess it's only one of two things, leaking manifold or carb throwing too much fuel in
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Where is this going - a 'Fords smell better than Chevy's' contest!!!!! That's funny!! I am going to go for the Fords obviously!
    Could be a build up of fumes on tickover under the bonnet if the manifold is leaking? But if it is fuel then it does need sorting pronto. Carb check over needed. I guess it's only one of two things, leaking manifold or carb throwing too much fuel in
    I wasn't actually referring to an 'Eua-de-Garage' perfume contest, I'll leave than for another 'Chanel'.
    but you've summed up the technical part of my post better than I could!!
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Ah! Venturi effect. Yes I understand it now. Many thanks.

sceptic

PS Thank you for using my favourite word - Stoichiometric .... Stoichiometry The unattainable perfection.

I've been away from big american V8's for a while and have maybe lost my immunity to the smells and vapours associated with Eau de garage. The new sanitised vehicle world just isn't the same.

Theres no fumes when lifting the bonnet or coming up through vents etc. The manifolds are bolted tight so its likely a bad seal. I will have a feel round the manifolds next time I start the car.

As I said it all runs well so don't think there's much wrong. I have run through the basic checks in the manual for the carb and nothing untoward was obvious to me. The exhaust tips are a bit sooty which suggests rich but maybe not overly for a big carburettor engine. I will maybe pull a couple of plugs to see how they look just in case but with good power across the rev range, no flats spots, coughs and splutters or warm starting issues I don't want to start messing with the carb so will, (ahem) 'exhaust' the manifold route of investigation as I get time.

As I said, what amazes me is the absolute consistency with which it happens on both sides, which is why initially I didn't think manifolds as it seemed more likely to be a common item, the carb, point 2 in original post?

Something that has just come to mind is the throttle was sticking slightly open last time I was out. It was enough to allow the engine to idle at about 2000rpm with foot on the clutch. There was no popping at all on lift off even from high revs. Happy to hear thoughts on this one...

Andy
    Andy
    Dax- 350 Chevy, Holley Carb - Loads of smiles to the gallon SOLD
    AK- 383 Chevy - Even more smiles to even more gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Andy76 View Post
    I've been away from big american V8's for a while and have maybe lost my immunity to the smells and vapours associated with Eau de garage. The new sanitised vehicle world just isn't the same.

Theres no fumes when lifting the bonnet or coming up through vents etc. The manifolds are bolted tight so its likely a bad seal. I will have a feel round the manifolds next time I start the car.

As I said it all runs well so don't think there's much wrong. I have run through the basic checks in the manual for the carb and nothing untoward was obvious to me. The exhaust tips are a bit sooty which suggests rich but maybe not overly for a big carburettor engine. I will maybe pull a couple of plugs to see how they look just in case but with good power across the rev range, no flats spots, coughs and splutters or warm starting issues I don't want to start messing with the carb so will, (ahem) 'exhaust' the manifold route of investigation as I get time.

As I said, what amazes me is the absolute consistency with which it happens on both sides, which is why initially I didn't think manifolds as it seemed more likely to be a common item, the carb, point 2 in original post?

Something that has just come to mind is the throttle was sticking slightly open last time I was out. It was enough to allow the engine to idle at about 2000rpm with foot on the clutch. There was no popping at all on lift off even from high revs. Happy to hear thoughts on this one...

Andy
    Andy, has the car always done the popping or is it something that has developed over time?

I only got it last year, the old owner did a great job on it and ran it that way but didn't do many miles in it. I suspect there's no sound deadening in the exhausts as well but they are fully welded.

It doesn't worry me too much but, (and this may sound daft, maybe I'm getting old and responsible) this area seems to be full of horse storage fields and its not unusual to come across them at short notice with people on top of them on some of the back roads. A sudden lift and a loud crack could cause excitement and I wouldn't like to see one get startled and something happen.

Then again, they don't pay road tax!

I will go through the simple stuff and if need be take it to an engine guy for an opinion. Its fairly highly tuned, hence the reason i'm wary of interfering. Don't want any unexpected bills from a little knowledge and all that.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy76 View Post
    I only got it last year, the old owner did a great job on it and ran it that way but didn't do many miles in it. I suspect there's no sound deadening in the exhausts as well but they are fully welded.

It doesn't worry me too much but, (and this may sound daft, maybe I'm getting old and responsible) this area seems to be full of horse storage fields and its not unusual to come across them at short notice with people on top of them on some of the back roads. A sudden lift and a loud crack could cause excitement and I wouldn't like to see one get startled and something happen.

Then again, they don't pay road tax!

I will go through the simple stuff and if need be take it to an engine guy for an opinion. Its fairly highly tuned, hence the reason i'm wary of interfering. Don't want any unexpected bills from a little knowledge and all that.
    Mine has no baffling either but it doesn’t pop unless there is a manifold leak. I understand about the horses, I have those too!!! Although mine are quite used to noise! They’re more scared by pigeons flying suddenly than the cobra!
    Sensible not to fiddle but I am curious to know if you can feel any exhaust leakage around those manifolds.

The original place I had suspected was where the side pipes push over the headers. I imagine there's a decent overlap though.

Will report back when I get a chance to look, the cars stays elsewhere so can't just pop out to the garage for a look unfortunatley.
    Andy

Ok todays update. Possibly a slight leak on manifolds, hard to tell, definitely no sign of fumes escaping though.

Pulled a couple of plugs and definitely running overly rich. Should have done this in the first place!

Plan of action will be, get carb right and see what difference that makes. Hi temp silicone due to be delivered so that will be the next step after carb if need be.

Next question where to find someone with good experience locally if at all possible....
    Andy

Sounds like you are making progress. Can't help with carb people near you!! You only need a tiny leak in the manifold to get the popping. Have fun...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast