Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by seph View Post
    I fitted the wizard last year, gauge is spot on now. I now know 1/4 is 3.5 gallons and time to think about a petrol station

Paul
    14 gallons then, good to know its accurate ,cheers Paul.

Did you use the existing float type valve or fit one of those VDO sender things.

Paul
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    14 gallons then, good to know its accurate ,cheers Paul.

Did you use the existing float type valve or fit one of those VDO sender things.

Paul
    I used the float type that was supplied with my tank, filled it a quarter at a time. I have put fuel in from 1/4 and it takes exactly what I think it should do to fill it. I emptied my tank just before I got it back on the road in June to put fresh fuel in it, looking at the gauge I thought there was about 1.75 gallons in it. 2 gallons came out, so pretty accurate

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    Hi Martin,
    Amongst other jobs, I am currently in the process of fitting a Spyder wizard module to my AK , and to help calibrate it correctly ,as you have done this already ,could you tell me exactly how much fuel the AK tank holds please.

BTW, your inbox is full ,

Cheers
    Paul
    The AK tank is 14 gallon (63 litres).

https://www.aksportscars.co.uk/media/fuel-tank/

Surely the wizard gauge can't take into account the varying cross section of the tank?
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

With the gauge wizard you calibrate it yourself to wherever you want each level.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible FOR SALE
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring

Quote Originally Posted by cperry View Post
    The AK tank is 14 gallon (63 litres).

https://www.aksportscars.co.uk/media/fuel-tank/

Surely the wizard gauge can't take into account the varying cross section of the tank?
    - it does, that is the main reason to buy one.

I did some maths calcs on the fuel sender responses for different tank shapes a couple of summers ago to understand what was going on. Maybe I should write it up?

IIRC the response from the sender is an 'S' shape from full to empty. The degree of slope and curviness is given by the shape (and potentially the tilt) of the tank.

The reason that they ALL have a crap response, is because the measurement system assumes a linear response with fuel height in the tank, when the response is anything but.

The fuel wizard allows you to correct for the S shaped response, via the chip inside. It has a default S-shape correction, but can also be tweaked for your particular application.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

My tanks like an inverted L, the gauge wizard can be programmed for 5 different positions. The gauge will move at different speeds between each position, but read correctly at each position.

Sorry the sender will move at different speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    With the gauge wizard you calibrate it yourself to wherever you want each level.
    Correct.

Due to my recent excruciating sciatica flare up and serious lack of space in my cramped single garage , my cobra is currently having a load of jobs done at Vince Gibbs Classic Cars, one of which is to replace the radiator which i have taken out twice already to have repaired and is leaking again !!!. Another one of those jobs Vince has just completed ,is the fitting and calibration of a Spyder wizard module . So as to not have fuel sitting in the rubber tube between tank and filler cap, Vince wanted the tank full point to be 1” below the neck at the top of the tank. First of all he filled the tank to 1” below the neck, then drained it and divided the total into 4 equal amounts, into 4 Jerry cans. He went through the sender calibration process by setting empty, then added one Jerry can of fuel, setting ¼ tank, then another Jerry can, setting ½ tank, carrying on this process up to full. He then removed exactly what should have been half a tank of fuel, but the gauge was reading nearly ¾ tank!

So he emptied the tank and noticed the float was nowhere near the bottom of the tank, and it took nearly 2 gallons of fuel before the float started to rise. He then changed tact and recorded the resistance reading with float down and again with float fully up.
    He then started to add increments of 5lts of fuel and plotted the resistance on a graph. After noting that the big change in resistance happens between zero and 15 litres and then became almost linear, he was able to calibrate the gauge/wizard by setting the empty position when the tank still had 10 litres of fuel in it.

So he says the gauge is now working well and when showing empty, it still has around 8-10ltrs of fuel remaining, as Charlie pointed out as being preferable ,which is perfect. So when filling up in future, I can now calculate how much fuel to put in to take it just below the rubber tube.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12